1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 9:38 AM by philmodjunk

Implementation ideas

b24mike

Title

Implementation ideas

I'm working on a World War II database showing the missions flown by each crew of a particular bomb group. Whenever a crew is shot down, a Missing Air Crew Report (MACR) is created containing the names of those onboard, cause of the loss (flak, fighters, mechanical, unknown), and location last seen.  I have all of the reports for this bomb group (109 losses) which would be displayed as a PDF through a container.  I would like to populate the table with information when a checkbox is clicked in the Mission Table (see Crew Loss.jpg, bottom entry left portal).

I have an excel spreadsheet containing details on all 109 losses (date, aircraft tail number, pilot's name, cause) and would only need to add the PDF to the container.

Is my approach anywhere near what I need and how do I get data from the portals in the Missions layout into my MACR layout.

crew_loss.JPG

• 1. Re: Implementation ideas
          philmodjunk

I'm not clear on why you need a PDF at all if you have the data in an Excel file which can then be imported into a table or tables in your database. Is this a scanned image of the actual hard copy document completed after the mission perhaps?

Otherwise, I don't see the point to using a PDF.

With regards to:

how do I get data from the portals in the Missions layout into my MACR layout.

Please keep in mind that I only know what you tell me in the posts of this one thread. My crystal ball is notoriously unreliable for seeing into your mind or your computer. wink

From what I see, you have a Missions table with a relationship to a table that uses one relationship or another to list the aircraft that participated in that mission. I would set that up with a many to many relationship between a table of aircraft (where there is one record for each aircraft) and a table of missions by using a join table to implement the many to many relationship. If so, then this portal would be to the join table. Is that what you have here?

Presumably, an MACR would be linked to that same record in the join table, so clicking a control in the portal row to see the MACR for that aircraft in that mission would be a case of using that relationship to pull up the records (imported from Excel)  or the PDF for the MACR (inserted into a container field).