4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 2:20 PM by JBerg

Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?

JBerg

Title

Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?

Hi, there's got to be a cool way to do this I just haven't found yet... I'd like to import my Bento 1.x data into Filemaker Pro Advanced 9 and have the layout look similar to the one I had in Bento.

I've already exported the Bento database as a CSV file, and I know how to import/export that way. If Filemaker (the company) wants Bento users to eventually upgrade to Filemaker Pro, then there has to be a way to do this without making users redesign their databases.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

-JB

• 1. Re: Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?
          rmanook

Hi JBerg,

Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately, you will only be able to import Bento's data as importing a Bento Layout is not possible at this time.  You may be able to find a plug-in that can do this, but in terms of just FileMaker and Bento it is not possible.

I agree that this would be an awesome addition in the future.  Your best bet to seeing this happen (along with everyone's :smileyhappy: ) is submitting feature requests.  You can do so here:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I'd fill it out for you but there is some information that might be better suited for you to fill out.  Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.

Is anyone else using the same configuration and can recommend any plug-ins?

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?
            JBerg

This is really just such a shame! I will make a feature request, but really, I'm assuming Filemaker wants Bento users to upgrade easily when they need/want to, and this stops me dead in my tracks.

Also, there is a tool called FMMigrator (see the same post over in the Bento forum), but it costs $100. My little nonprofit can't afford that when it should be really easy with FileMaker.

J

• 3. Re: Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?
              TSGal

JBerg:

In the mean time, you can export your Bento data to a comma-separated values (CSV) text file (Bento 1 or Bento 2).  You can then import the data into FileMaker Pro.  This only brings across the data, so you would need to recreate each of your Forms/Layouts.  Not the ideal solution, but you can get your data across.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Import Bento data into Filemaker Pro 9?
                JBerg

Yes, I realize that, and mentioned it in my first posting. The data only gets you so far... thanks for responding though.

J