8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 7:21 AM by margotjacqz

import creating layout problems - how to strip?

margotjacqz

Title

import creating layout problems - how to strip?

I have an old database - fmp 3-8; multiple users and evolution over ten years. I am building a new application. On a different machine. Old db on Win XP; New on Mac Snow Leopard FMP 11.

I exported data a from the old Company records (*.csv) and imported them into a new Company table. When I went to work on the  layout, I discovered the fields were all mutated into what look like they might be repeat fields, color appeared and behaving badly (grouped?) when trying to move or resize. I haven't worked in layouts enough to figure out what their characteristics are, but I do know they are no longer bog standard initial layout fields with no properties other than fonts.

Questions - what is going on here?

is there a way to sanitize the data on exporting from 8? on upon importing? Is there a way to strip all added characteristics from layout field codes, or select all and recode? Where to even look for the diagnoses of the new state?

tnx, m

• 1. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
          philmodjunk

You don't actually have to do this export and import. You can just take your FileMaker 8 file and open it with Filemaker 11. The file format is the same.

• 2. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
            margotjacqz

First, I am not doing that because the 8 dB is a mess; constructed on the bones of an fmp3 app. Each table is in a different file so I am not even sure how to open it as a whole. Trust me, even the guy who built it and patched it up over the years recommened the teardown.

All I want is some of the data and none of the formatting. Why wouldn't a simple export/ import be the way to do that?

or, If it wasn't goop in the imported data, what would have caused this abberation?

and, How do I clean it up? that is, reset all the fields to the on creation default.

• 3. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
              philmodjunk

I'm just suggesting simpler options with less potential issues to avoid.

You can also just use Import records and import the data directly from the FMP 8 files without first exporting to csv. That option gives you the data without the layouts and scripts. You can import with the new table option to create new tables in your new file as you import from each older file. If you leave the older files open when you import, you can perform a find on the older files to restrict the data imported to just those in the found set of each such file.

• 4. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
                margotjacqz

Thanks Phil, I am beginning to get it. "records" is more than data? or data is more than txt? or whatever. The csv file looked like a simple table to choose fields from, but I guess not.  I'll be back ....

• 5. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
                  philmodjunk

The data could be text, numbers, dates, times.... Each is stored differently and displayed differently. By importing directly from the old file with the new table option, you can define fields that have the correct matching data types. There may be additional calculation fields included in the import that may import inside /* comment brackets like these */ if they refer to a field in a related file, but those can either be deleted after the import or updated to work with the new relationships you will create as you complete your design.

• 6. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
                    margotjacqz

phil now you are making it sound complicated <S>.  By txt I meant the basic information that i could see in the csv file - in this case names, addresses, phone numbers.  I'll try it your way, but am still not clear why "Export records"  would include formatting, and field properties, or other issues. ah well.

• 7. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
                      philmodjunk

I don't think that's really the issue here. The data formatting specified in the current layout does not have any impact on the format of the exported data. I can't see exactly what you did, but suspect that by using CSV, you may have imported the data into fields of the wrong declared type in the new file's target table.

If importing the data directly from the old files into the new file with the new table option still does not work for you, we can rule out that possible explanation.

• 8. Re: import creating layout problems - how to strip?
                        margotjacqz

for what it's worth, i imported directly from original table [took some dong given field name nonnaming and repetive layers] and it seems hte field formatting is clear. I noticed that there was a check box about repeating fields i may have missed last time, and although the original layout didn't look like repeating fields etc etc. Anyway problem solved moving on to the next Thanks Phil for pointing the way. - margot