4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2010 3:09 AM by comment_1

import csv file

zebdaag

Title

import csv file

Hi,

I have some problems with importing a csv file into Filemaker.

Everything is going well except for the checkbox list information in FileMaker.

How dow I import information from a CSV file into a checkboxlist in Filemaker. I tried to export the filemaker file and try to get the csv I want to import exactly the same but it doesn't seem to work.

This is what I got:

"O.K. Periodicals",14,,"O.K. Parking","John","Doe","street","zip code","Arnhem","Nederland","email@email.nl",0612345678,12-04-82,"Graphic Designer","Cont. O.K. CollectionsCont. O.K. FailureCont. O.K. RepeatO.K. RepeatO.K. FailureO.K. CollectionsSubscriptionCrewNewsSpecial"

The last part is the checkbox list.

"Cont. O.K. CollectionsCont. O.K. FailureCont. O.K. RepeatO.K. RepeatO.K. FailureO.K. CollectionsSubscriptionCrewNewsSpecial"

Every word should be a check checkbox:

Cont. O.K. Collections

Cont. O.K. Failure

Cont. O.K. Repeat

O.K. Repeat

O.K. Failure

O.K. Collections

Subscription

Crew

News

Special

Can someone help me out with this?

• 1. Re: import csv file
          comment_1

Filemaker will import values as a return-delimited list (which is what a checkbox really is) if the values are separated by a vertical tab (char 11) or a return (char 13).

• 2. Re: import csv file
            Steve Wright

In Filemaker you would have to create the value list, by going File > Manage > Value Lists

In your table, you would need a field which holds the checkbox values such as "status"

For instance a value list containing your own custom list :

Cont. O.K. Collections

Cont. O.K. Failure

Cont. O.K. Repeat

O.K. Repeat

O.K. Failure

O.K. Collections

Subscription

Crew

News

Special

The field "status" may only contain two checked items as an example, in which case the fields value would be 

Cont. O.K. Failure

Crew

On the layout, you would set the "status" field to display as a checkbox, using values from the value list you created above.

The sample above would show those two values checked, the others would remain unchecked.

Once you have this, you can then experiment with your data importing, you would import the values into the status field.

Edit : and as comment suggested, the list would need to be a return-delimited list

• 3. Re: import csv file
              zebdaag

Hi,

Thanks for your help. The problem was in the return-determined information. When I placed a return between every checkbox item it worked out fine. But when everything is imported it doesn't work like it should be. All the information is in the filemaker file but I can't use related groups or add note with these new contacts. How is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Zeb

• 4. Re: import csv file
                comment_1

I am afraid your description is not clear. Perhaps you should post an example file somewhere, so we can see the problem.