5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2011 9:18 AM by philmodjunk

Import data to Excel from FileMaker

theta

Title

Import data to Excel from FileMaker

I wonder how could I import data into a sheet in Excel from a table in a FileMaker database. Is it possible? And what if the database is on the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Kostas 

• 1. Re: Import data to Excel from FileMaker
          philmodjunk

IF this data must be imported into a specific Excel file that already exists, you'd need to do it in two stages, I think. You can export the data from Filemaker into a new excel, tab or csv file. Then you can open the Excel file and import the data from this exported file of data.

And what if the database is on the internet?

I think that would depend on how your are accessing the database (from Filemaker or a web browser) and what permissions have been granted to you. I have my doubts that you could do this from a web browser.

• 2. Re: Import data to Excel from FileMaker
            theta

PhilModJunk, is there a way to do it without exporting data from FileMaker. Something like "SQL.REQUEST" command in Excel. The FileMaker database is in use on the web and data are changing dynamically 24 hours a day, so exporting data is not an option. I' looking for another solution. 

• 3. Re: Import data to Excel from FileMaker
              philmodjunk

Don't see why "changing dynamically 24 hours a day" is an issue here. Any method you use to export the data is capturing the current values which will then continue to change after the fact.

It may be possible to set up an ODBC connection to the DB, but I can't advise you on whether that is possible or practical in this case.

If this is a relatively small set of data, you might try copying the records to the clipboard and pasting the data into the Excel file manually. In a script, Copy All records will copy all fields present on the current layout for all records present in the found set to the clipboard, separated by tabs between fields and returns between records so this might be something you could paste into the spread sheet.

• 4. Re: Import data to Excel from FileMaker
                theta

As I said before, the database is on the web. The excel file might be in New York, in Athens, in Barcelona or anywhere else. So copy data to clipboard is not possible.

I am thinking making a new database that extracts the data from the web based database and then do the export in the excel. But I was wondering if there was a way doing this in a more automated way!

• 5. Re: Import data to Excel from FileMaker
                  philmodjunk

You've said very little about the circumstances that will require this "export". The copy method will work even for such remote locations, but only if the user is using Filemaker to access the file as a client. I was considering the possibility that this was something a person responsible for administrating the database might need to do instead of just any user accessing the database via a web browser.

It might be possible to set up a system where the data is exported to a location on the host computer and then the file is emailed to the user as an attachment.