7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 10:42 AM by philmodjunk

Import Fields

KathleenScott

Title

Import Fields

I have two databases. Is there a way to import some of the fields from the old one into the other without creating them all in the new one?

• 1. Re: Import Fields
          philmodjunk

With FileMaker Advanced, you can copy and paste the field definitions from a table in one file to a table in the other.

With regular FileMaker, you can use Import Records with the "new table" option to import the entire table. You can then delete the fields you don't want, leaving the rest. You can link this table in a one to one relationship with an existing table if you wanted to add those fields to an existing table in your target file.

• 2. Re: Import Fields
            KathleenScott

Could you detail the steps for this? I have FMPro 13. When I choose Import Records my choices are File... Folder... XML or OBDC Data Source.

• 3. Re: Import Fields
              philmodjunk

Choose file. Then select the file from which you want to import this table. Then select the table you want to import from that file.

In a later dialog, you'll select New table as the target table.

• 4. Re: Import Fields
                KathleenScott

Ok, thank you. I have done this (I think) but now when I want to insert a field from the imported table it is an 'unrelated table'. How do I change this to a 'related' table?

• 5. Re: Import Fields
                  philmodjunk

Go to Manage | Database | Relationships and link the Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? for the new table to your other table occurrences in a relationship.

• 6. Re: Import Fields
                    KathleenScott

Isnt there a way to just combine the two sets of fields together? I am used to working in FMPro6; I liked most of the fields I was using, Idon't use more than one table; I am a very basic user.

• 7. Re: Import Fields
                      philmodjunk

Yes, buy FileMaker Advanced and copy/paste the fields. That's not an attempt at either sarcasm or humor here, it's just a fact of how FileMaker works. I recommend Advanced to all people who want to create anything more than a very, very basic database. The added tools not only save time, such as here, but also help new users better understand how FileMaker works. (Stepping through a script in the debugger and watching the value of fields and variables change with each step can be a real "eye opener".)

But if you don't choose to spend those extra $$ (which is quite understandable) then no, there is no simple way to just add those fields to your table. You can, however set up a simple one to one relationship between the two tables, enable "allow creation of records via this relationship" and use fields from both tables on your layout just as though they were all from the same table.