ric

Title

Import file in containerfield and repeat the action

Hi wont to now how to import files from a directory

in a loop action like this

loop

insert file[reference;field]

goto record/request/page/next

<<ok this works perfect but i have to select each file to put the reference

but i got 12560 files the get the reference

i want this do to automatic>>

end loop if record is 12560

help will be great

Best regard ric

• 1. Re: Import file in containerfield and repeat the action
          FentonJones

The Import Folder has an option to import all the image files in a directory, either as embedded or as references. It can also create a 128x128  thumbnail on the fly (embedded, but it's small). It works like any other Import, so it can do Matching Records, matched on either the File Name or File Path, to prevent duplicates, in which case you need to Show All Records (or relevant records) first.

If that does not work for you then please specify which platforms you need this to work on, as there is no FileMaker native ability to list the files of a folder. But there are tools to do so on each platform, as well as a few free plug-ins, which are cross-platform. Once you have the list of files (paths), it is a matter of running a Loop to take each out separately, setting it into a Script Variable, then importing. 

• 2. Re: Import file in containerfield and repeat the action
            ric

hi jones thank for respons

i working on xp platform and the file are pdf's

But i see that mac thake the reference of pdf's files going to try that because i got fm pro9 advanced and i put the license on pc and the other on mac

so il see how it works

What i do is first in excel i make hyperlink ans so i can get it in filemaker but to do this of each file from a directory it works only with image on pc

If you got directly a solution wil be great

Best regard ric

• 3. Re: Import file in containerfield and repeat the action
              FentonJones

Yes, Macs can see PDF files as Pictures, so you can use Import Folder that way. If you are importing as reference, that will get the file path (you can change the "imagemac:" prefix to "file:", or convert the path to an OS path; all the data is there). It is also possible to get paths with AppleScript.

On Windows probably the easiest method is to get the free MooPlug FileMaker plug-in, which has a Choose Folder and List Folder command.