1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2014 2:47 PM by philmodjunk

Import Find Criteria from Excel?

straka_sh

Title

Import Find Criteria from Excel?

Here's the best example...

We have an excel report that has a variable number of 5 digit record numbers (eg. 21639, 21643, 21839... etc).  It might be as few as 10 or as many as several hundred records.

Is there a (easy) way to import an example of 256 records into find requests so I don't have to manually type in all 256 record numbers into my FM solution to bring up those matching records?

I've thought of a separate table that I could import into and then use a calculation to find the matching records, but I have to import these into a repeating field, so that might be a little more cumbersome.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Import Find Criteria from Excel?
          philmodjunk

but I have to import these into a repeating field, so that might be a little more cumbersome.

Which would suggest that a repeating field is not the optimum design for this data.

Do you need to find a record or a repetition within the repeating field?

If you need only to find the record where at least one repetition stores a matching value, you can go ahead and import into a temp table and use a relationship to match the field with the imported ID to the repeating field. When using a repeating field, you'll get a match if any one of the repetitions matches values--just like using return separated values listed in a single field.

There are also ways to build a list of the imported data from your table and use it in a scripted find to find records. The looping script near the end of the following thread of scripted find examples may provide a few useful clues: Scripted Find Examples