4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 6:27 AM by mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Import from one DB to another

mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Title

Import from one DB to another

I know it is nearly a year since I last posted, but I have had time off for a heart operation and have only just got back to this....

I have script that rebuilds the database when Table Definitions change. It imports all records from a source database to an updated one. Following advice in her last year (I know, but I have been off sick)

How do I remove password protection from the source file?

I can create an account that has no password, but I am still prompted for user name and password on every Import step in the script. Having no password speeds up the operation (press Enter each time, rather enter a password and press Enter) but it would be better if I was not prompted at all.

Mike

• 1. Re: Import from one DB to another
          philmodjunk

Open the source file as the first step of the script. Then run the import records steps with the file now open. Irritating but true. Come to think of it this probably should be reported as a bug to over in Report an Issue to see what the techs have to say about it.

Note that with the file open, a script in the source file should be run to do a show all records on a layout for each table before you import the records.

• 2. Re: Import from one DB to another
            mike.goss@citta.co.uk

In the discussion last year three alternatives were listed as follows:

Perform a script located in the source file that does a show all records on one layout for each table from which you are going to import records. This script can be performed from a script or button in your target file.

Remove the password protection from the source file.

Keep entering the account name and password as you are now.

I'd prefer not to have Show All in all the tables, so thought I'd go for the second option....

• 3. Re: Import from one DB to another
              philmodjunk

Yes but then you have to change it back when you are done. You can go into File Options and set up the file to auto-enter a password. Or you can go into Manage | Security and disable all but passwords but one that does not require a password (just has an account name) and use file options to specify that account.

This is really only a practical option if you the developer are going to transfer the data from the current file into the new. The first option is something that you can set up so the use can run their own update when you email them the updated file.

• 4. Re: Import from one DB to another
                mike.goss@citta.co.uk

> This is really only a practical option if you the developer are going to transfer the data from the current file into the new.

Exactly the situation here. Thanks, that sorts the problem.

Mike