3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 6:07 AM by TSGal

Import has stopped working

CarolynB

Title

Import has stopped working

I have a Filemaker file which I created and have been using for a few years, to which I weekly import data from other files.  The importing from these other files has suddenly stopped working.  When I try, I get the message: "No fields are defined in the data source".  I don't think I'm doing anything different than I did before, either in the export procedure or the import procedure.  I've looked carefully at the export and import dialog boxes for any setting I might need to change (because other people also use these files), and I don't see anything that looks like it would affect this.

What would cause the sudden failure of all import attempts, and what can I do to fix this?

• 1. Re: Import has stopped working
          TSGal

CarolynB:

Thank you for your post.

Is the export handled through a script?  If so, it may be that zero records are exported, and this would result in an empty file.  If you then try to import an empty file, you will get the message "No fields are defined in the data source".

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Import has stopped working
            CarolynB

Thank you for your reply.  However -- no, the export is not handled through a script.  I initiate the export each time through the File - Export Records menu item.  I'm doing it the same way I always did, when it formerly worked.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: Import has stopped working
              TSGal

CarolynB:

Thank you for the additional information.

What file format are you exporting?  Comma-separated?  Tab-separated?  Once exported, are you able to open the file in a text editor to make sure the data is there?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.