2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 8:51 AM by philmodjunk

Import layout from one file to another. How do I do that?

algae592002

Title

Import layout from one file to another. How do I do that?

I have FMP  Advanced 12.c04. I thought it allowed to import/export layouts from one file to another. Have been unsuccessful.

Have I misunderstood or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Import layout from one file to another. How do I do that?
          RickWhitelaw

It will allow copying of tables from one to the other, but as far as I know, layouts can't be imported/exported. You can select all elements of a layout, copy them, and paste them into a blank layout in the second file. Keep in mind that all your fields will need to be redefined or assigned to the proper tables etc.

Edit: of course if you copy and paste the proper tables into the second file and relate them in the graph, you may get away with less redefining of fields.
          • 2. Re: Import layout from one file to another. How do I do that?
            philmodjunk

If the file to which you want to "export" the layout has a Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of exactly the same name, has fields that have exactly the same name as those  used in the layout and this is a table occurrence of the table on which you plan to base your layout, then copy/pasting all the layout objects from your source file to your target file could be done. But you have to be very meticulous about these details.

One trick is to name your table occurrence and fields to match the original layout and then rename them after you have your layout set up and working.

See this thread for more about how this might be done: Importing Layouts