7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 7:21 AM by PhilipRand

Import Problem

rgs

Title

Import Problem

I am trying to import records from MS Access via Excel worksheets in FileMaker Pro 10. I have sucessfully done this in the past. 

But the last two times I tried, the import dialogue shows the names for the FileMaker fields but not the Excel fields and no data is imported; just the correct number of blank records. Any suggestions?

Thanks

RGS

• 1. Re: Import Problem
          philmodjunk

Any chance you have a blank row at the top of your worksheet? Can you click the arrow buttons to view other rows in the worksheet and see data?

• 2. Re: Import Problem
            rgs

Well, I had exported the file straight from MS Access as an Excel file and tried to import that to FileMaker. After making the first post above, I opened the Excel file and tweaked the headers slightly without changing any words (but added some spaces between words) and saved it. Then it imported nicely. It looks like Access exports Excel as poorly as it imports it. Odd that MS can't make these two play more nicely together.

Anyway, as to your question, there were (in this case) 40 blank records which I deleted.

Now if anyone knows how to prevent FileMaker from importing the header row, I'd like to know the secret. Thanks

RGS 

• 3. Re: Import Problem
              philmodjunk

Click the "Don't import first record (contains field names)" option.

• 4. Re: Import Problem
                rgs

I looked for that and it's either missing or I am missing it. Should it be in the import dialogue?

RGS

• 5. Re: Import Problem
                  philmodjunk

I find it in the bottom left corner of the Import Field Mapping dialog box on my Filemaker 11.02 advanced windows xp system.

• 6. Re: Import Problem
                    rgs

Thanks. Sounds like I looked in the wrong place.

RGS

• 7. Re: Import Problem
                      PhilipRand

Access 2007 -- has a nice little wizard to convert to Excel. An icon exists for performing the Access-Excel conversion. In the conversion menu, I click all the boxes in the export menu (they will stop being grey when you click the topmost one) and am sure to click "Open the Excel file at the end of the conversion operation" (my pograms are in Italian so I'm paraphrasing the Italian text). Since my Access DB has field names, I tell them to keep those for Excel (and will keep them for the Excel-FMPro conversion.

Viewing the new Excel file gives you the opportunity to edit your Excel file before sending it to FMPro 11. After repeated attempts at conversions with problems of blank boxes coming out in FMPro, in the EXCEL FILE, I changed everything I could to text format (although FMPro 11 seems to accept the date format, too. 

This change of format in Excel changed my life, because columns and records came through quite accurately. I could then easily go into my new FMPro file and set the formats back where I wanted them. 

Since I am an FMPro neophyte, I am sure there are myriads of other shortcuts I am overlooking. Hopefully and nonetheless,  I can save some time for other neophytes, as far as the basic conversion process is concerned.