6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 5:33 PM by levdtrotsky

import problems

Title

import problems

I am using FileMaker 10.3, with Mac Pages as the word processing program.

I have been doing this for several years, and today have had a problem for the first time.

I maintain a bibliography database with author, year, article, source etc. I wanted to add some additional references. I created a word-processing, tab-separated text of the new entries, which FileMaker identified as a tab-separated text. When I attempted to import it, it only imported the first field.

I created a clone of the existing database, and imported these same records into the clone, and it created the records just fine.

When I tried to import the clone into the main database, again, only  the first filed appeared in the main database.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: import problems
          philmodjunk

There are many different options you can select when importing records. What options are you selecting?

• 2. Re: import problems

I had been using import - file- tab-separated text

What I finally did was create a clone of the original file, import the old file into the clone, and then use the clone to import the new stuff I wanted.  The clone works fine and I simply deleted the older file.

• 3. Re: import problems
              philmodjunk

I had been using import - file- tab-separated text

I got that from your first post, but there are many other options you might select during this process.

All of the following can affect your results:

What table is linked to the layout current when you imported.
              Your import action options ( add new, update existing, update matching )
              your field mapping
              add remaining data as new records
              Don't import first record
              Enabling auto-entry during import...

• 4. Re: import problems

As I mentioned, I have been doing this for some years.  I go File > Impoirt > Open File / tab separated text / pick the relevant word processing text> .open; then I match the fields to the relevant information in the ocument (Target: Current Table "Untitled"; arrange by custom order > input > perform auto entry > input

This works fine now, but just was not working with the previous incarnation of the file. 

- Michael D

• 5. Re: import problems
                  philmodjunk

One of the things that happens when you import into a clone is that you rebuild all the indexes in the file. It's possbile this index rebuild corrected the problem.

• 6. Re: import problems

Thank you. If "felt" like some sort of corruption, and my next step was going to be a reinstall.