8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 11:35 AM by CarlisleLandel

Import records script step Error 729

CarlisleLandel

Title

Import records script step Error 729

This one is driving me nuts.

I have a script to import a CSV file into my DB.  Because the data are being split between multiple tables, there are 3 separate script steps calling upon this dataset.  

One of the steps simply refuses to import data, giving me the dreaded 729 error code.  [Well duh, yeah, there is an error.  Could ya be a bit more specific?]

If I use the script debugger and just start the script at this step, it works just fine.

The other odd thing is that after I set up the import order and hit OK, the "Import Options" dialog box fails to appear as it normally does.

This is actually a duplicate script, made from one that serves the same function for a similar dataset split among a different set of tables.  I saw a hint somewhere that this sometimes happens with duplicate scripts.  I guess I could re-write the whole thing, but the data mapping is sort of painful, so before I do that, I thought I'd seek the wisdom of the group.

I'm using FMP12, and the DB is being hosted on Server12.  (At some point I'll convert to 13).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this,

Carlisle

• 1. Re: Import records script step Error 729
          philmodjunk

You might try deleting the import records script and recreating it from "scratch" to see if you get any change in results.

Also, what happens if you manually attempt to import from this file as a test?

I may be wrong, but I think that error code is often due to validation errors tripped during the import. Do you get some data or no data imported when you run this script?

• 2. Re: Import records script step Error 729
            CarlisleLandel

Thanks for the suggestion.  I already tried to delete and re-create the offending step, with no joy.

Manual import works fine for this file.  Also, as I said, if I use the Debugger on the script, set this step as the next step, and step into it, voila, it works fine.  Go figure.

I tend to agree with your idea that it is a validation error, and that it is somehow tied into the failure to show the Import Options dialog after I specify the import order.  As I noted, the other import steps that take data from the same CSV file to different tables seem to be quite happy.

Anyway, I'll probably stoop to re-creating the script from scratch.  At this point, it may be easier than trouble-shooting.  I'll report back the results, though I swear that if the problem persists after doing that, I may need to break out the bourbon.

Carlisle

• 3. Re: Import records script step Error 729
              philmodjunk

if I use the Debugger on the script, set this step as the next step, and step into it, voila, it works fine.  Go figure.

What happens if you step through this script from the very beginning?

Anyway, I'll probably stoop to re-creating the script from scratch.  At this point, it may be easier than trouble-shooting.

I don't have much confidence that will work for you since recreating the specific script step isn't resolving the issue.

• 4. Re: Import records script step Error 729
                CarlisleLandel

What happens if you step through this script from the very beginning?

It fails.

I don't have much confidence that will work for you since recreating the specific script step isn't resolving the issue.

Yeah, me neither, but I don't know what else to do at this point.  angry

• 5. Re: Import records script step Error 729
                  philmodjunk

It fails.

That suggests an issue with the design of the script. In one way or another, it would appear that running the script as a whole set's up some sort of contextual difference that is not the case when you use the debugger to run this script as the first step to be executed or when you do the import manually.

You may want to post a copy of your script so that others can see it. Sometimes, a fresh perspective allows another person to see something you can't simply due to the fact that you have had your head buried into the process for so long that you see what you want it to do rather than what the script actually does. (At least this is what can happen to me, YMMV wink)

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
                  3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
                  5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                  7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
                  • 6. Re: Import records script step Error 729
                    CarlisleLandel

The script was a simple modification of other scripts I'm using, all of which work.  The difference between these scripts is only in the dataset imported and the target of the data within the database.

So here is what I did:  I threw out the non-working script.  Then I re-duplicated a working script, changed the import targets appropriately, and let 'er rip.  And it fixed the problem.  There was clearly a ghost in the machine with this script, and simply throwing it away and replacing it fixed the problem.

Go figure.

Chalk this one up as a Mystery of the Universe.

• 7. Re: Import records script step Error 729
                      philmodjunk

Then it is possible that the script itself was corrupted.

• 8. Re: Import records script step Error 729
                        CarlisleLandel

Then it is possible that the script itself was corrupted.

You betcha! wink

Thanks for taking the time to help with this.

Have a great weekend!