5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 4:14 PM by philmodjunk

Import Records won't start

EricKnustrom

Title

Import Records won't start

I'm trying to import records from a large database to another smaller database updating empty fields in records with other matching fields, specifically "first name" "last name" and "zip code."  I've selected the correct Source and Target databases, selected import action of "update matching records in found set", identified the fields I want to match and clicked import.  the importing dialogue box comes up but never starts counting down.  Its been about 30 min and while FMP appears to be processing, the # of records remaining isnt dropping. 

Any thoughts on why it won' execute?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Import Records won't start
          philmodjunk

updating empty fields in records with other matching fields,

well empty match  fields in your target table won't "match" to anything in your source table.

You want to select a match field or fields such that the value of the match field in the source table's record = the value in the target table's match field. That doesn't appear to be the case here given your description.

• 2. Re: Import Records won't start
            EricKnustrom

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The fileds I am matching are the same in the source database, db 1, as the target database, db2.  They are first name, last name and zip code.  The fields I am trying to populate are for the address, which are contained in db1 but not db2.  I have created empty fields in db2 to be populated by the import based upon the matching records in db1. 

• 3. Re: Import Records won't start
              philmodjunk

Did you show all records in the target table?

Are the fields all defined with consistent data types when you check them in manage | Database | Fields? (name fields are text in both tables and zip fields are either both text or both number.)

• 4. Re: Import Records won't start
                EricKnustrom

All recrords are show in the target.  It says "Total (unsorted)" and the data types for all the fields beind matched are the same.  As are the fields for where the data being retrieved would be imported. 

I can't figure out what is hanging it up.

• 5. Re: Import Records won't start
                  philmodjunk

What indexing options have been specified for the three match fields?

That's a bit of a long shot, but worth a check.

Also, you might run a recover on the file(s) just to rule out a possible damaged file issue.