3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 10:22 AM by philmodjunk

import script that will bypass login

shi

Title

import script that will bypass login

I have a startup script that needs to automatically import data from regional .fp7 files into a state database.  The logic works fine but requires a login for each of the imports.  How can I easily bypass the login step?  I created an identical account in each file, but it doesn't work with import.  Is there a simple circumvention to this problem? I've seen similar questions but not a viable solution.  I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 11. 

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

• 1. Re: import script that will bypass login
          philmodjunk

If the files have common account names/passwords, use open file to open the files first, then kick off the import records step. If you need to import all records from the tables, use perform script in the source files to do a show all records before importing.

• 2. Re: import script that will bypass login
            shi

Thanks, this works.  It's a little slow, but works so I'm happy with it.

• 3. Re: import script that will bypass login
              philmodjunk

A key difference when importing from another file:

If the file is closed at time of import, the import records step imports all the records in the table. If it is open, you get the found set. It's ironic that FileMaker insists on the pasword dialog with each and every import records step when the file is closed. If you could access the database like all other "file open" actions--using the current file's account name and password to open the file automatically, we could do some nice imports for deploying new versions of a file that we can't do without the extra work arounds.

Hmmm, need to test this issue in FileMaker 12 to see if it still happens...