8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 11:35 AM by Ender

Import variables

Elie

Title

Import variables

Hello I'm using FM Pro 10 with windows vista

i'm working on a database where i've situated each table in a different file

i need to know if there is a way to use global variables from another file

or a way to merge all my layouts and tables and relationships in one file without loosing any data or work done.

If you need more info please tell me

• 1. Re: Import variables
          Elie
             Any idea??
          • 2. Re: Import variables
            WoodApple

Really all depends on where you want to go with it, you have alot of options but any one will take at least some work.

I have many files that are one table and have only relationships needed allow them to work at the field level, and an interface file that has no tables but table occurances from the data files and relationships to make the interface work. (this allows you to manage the data easily and design the interface with the ability to be replaced easily without doing alot of exporting and importing)... but that is just one option.... prehaps some info about how this data needs to be used and what format is it to be displayed to the user? ....

• 3. Re: Import variables
              deltatango
                 I believe that if you put all your files into a folder and drag that folder onto the filemaker icon, it will join them...I haven't done it in a while but it would hurt to try.
              • 4. Re: Import variables
                RickWhitelaw

I believe FM will, if you drag the files onto the icon, update the External data sources in each of the files. It won't "join" them in the "relationship" sense of the word.

RW 

• 5. Re: Import variables
                  mrvodka

Elie wrote:

i need to know if there is a way to use global variables from another file

Global variables, no unless you pass the value into your new file.

Global fields, yes.

• 6. Re: Import variables
                    Ender
                       I believe that if you put all your files into a folder and drag that

folder onto the filemaker icon, it will join them...I haven't done it
                    in a while but it would hurt to try.

This is incorrect.

I believe FM will, if you drag the files onto the icon, update the
                    External data sources in each of the files. It won't "join" them in the
                    "relationship" sense of the word.

RW

Not this either.  If you want to fix external data sources, you'd go into Manage->External Data Sources.

Global variables, no unless you pass the value into your new file.

Global fields, yes.

What kind of half answer is that, John? :o

Elie,

As WoodApple said, there are different ways to do things.  You can move all of your interface into one file and just link to the other files in the External Data Sources.  You can rebuild everything into just one file.  You can use global fields to pass values to other files.  Or you can use script parameters to pass values to other files.

If you're just starting designing layouts, you're probably best off combining everything into one file, and going from there.  The steps for this involve importing the table definitions (in FM9/10, by using the New Table option in the bottom of the target table pop-up menu in the Import dialog,) manually recreating any layouts and value lists (copy & paste can help), and importing the scripts.

If you have an established interface in each file and don't wish to combine them, you can still work with a multi-file interface.  If you truly need values to hang around, they're not tied to any records, and you need to get at them from different files, globally stored fields will work well.  If you just need to pass a value for a sub-script to take over in the next file, the best method is to send a script parameter.  If you need to send multiple values, you can do so by sending a delimited string, and then parsing it out on the other end (custom functions are great for this, if you need a good reason to buy FM Pro Advanced.)

Or if you're like WoodApple, you can keep the data in their separate files and put the entire interface in an interface file.  Some developers like this "separation model" because you can replace the interface for a client very quickly just by swapping in the new interface file (no imports needed.)

• 7. Re: Import variables
                      mrvodka

Oh look who decides to come out of the woods for his once every 6 month post...  :smileytongue:

Back to your gnome hole Punxsutawney Phil!

• 8. Re: Import variables
                        Ender

mr_vodka wrote:

Oh look who decides to come out of the woods for his once every 6 month post...  :smileytongue:

Back to your gnome hole Punxsutawney Phil!

Someone's got to keep you from sluffing off.

Oh, gotta go, I think I see my shadow. ;)