2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 6:02 AM by willrollo

Importing a very different database

Title

Importing a very different database

I have copied an old Access Database that is a basic customers/invoicing/payments style.

However the old databse worked in a different way, so I am having a bit of trouble on how to imported records.

The new FM database has the usual Customers--Invoice Details--- line items---- products 

The old one appears to have an invoice table that contains a combination of invoice details and line items..with of course the customer ID  number that links it to its customers' table.

How should import these into my tables if it is possible? At the very least, I want to be able to look at a customer's history to see how many invoices/numbers/prices etc it relates to..I think extracting the intergrated line items into my seperate lines table will be too tricky..

Thank you

• 1. Re: Importing a very different database
          JimMac

It is not tricky, but systematic.  You can import records several times.  Each import must match the Customer ID or what ever primary key for that table

And...

the matching information.

You can select what import fields match your modified DB.

Thus...

One import Customer ID and Contact Info in one table.  Import again for Customer ID and Invoice data... etc.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Importing a very different database

I think you are right. I am testing it out now and when it comes to the time to do the actual switch I shall do it all again...dont think it is worth writing a script for..
                 Thank you