4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 6:23 PM by davidanders

importing cleaned contacts into database

wiggly

Title

importing cleaned contacts into database

Hi. We are working with File Maker Pro 9.0v3 on Mac OSX 10.4.11.

We have an xls file of about 2,000 contacts that we have had 'cleaned' (checked with the post office) and these contacts have new addresses. We need to find a way to have FMP automatically move the existing address to the 'address notes' field we have (we would still like to keep their old address in this field), preceded by 'old add:', and then import the new address into the address field. We are not total experts at this, and would not be able to write our own code. Is there an easy way to do this automatically, or does FMP provide a service for doing this type of thing?

Our databse is over a network, not onine.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: importing cleaned contacts into database
          davidanders

Filemaker Import XML Data

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/import_export.16.17.html

Save the current database (never make major changes to the only copy that is being used)

Backup copies throughout the process.  Make notes of the process.

Working on the COPY, optionally,  Save As Smaller (this compresses or optimizes the database)

Importing the XML data can be confusing due to field name mismatches.

Opening the XML data as a new database can allow renaming Field names, making import simpler.

Creating a Calculation Field to save the old address will not work

Using a Set Field script step would be best.

• 2. Re: importing cleaned contacts into database
            wiggly

HI David, thank you for your reply. I see you're in Seattle, so are we.

Creating our own script to move the old address to a different field before importing the new information is a bit beyond our capability. We are a non-profit who rely on volunteers for a lot fo this stuff. Do you know of any way we can hire FileMaker to do what we need? I would ask them directly but it seems we would have to pay for the phone call, which we will do only if necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: importing cleaned contacts into database
              philmodjunk

"Do you know of any way we can hire FileMaker to do what we need?"

I seriously doubt that's something Filemaker can do for you, but maybe there's a local filemaker consultant who might be willing to donate their services on this for you...

• 4. Re: importing cleaned contacts into database
                davidanders

I have done work for non-profits through formerly OneNorthWest.

I found non-profits similar to disfunctional families, no offense.

I would suggest contacting OneNW. New name escapes my memory.