1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 9:03 AM by philmodjunk

Importing contacts into BPS

Drumm1

Title

Importing contacts into BPS

Hi, 

I'm new to Filemaker, I am currently trying out pro 10 on my new iMac and after watching the videos and reading the bumf it looks to be exactly what I need for my event services business. However I do have a question;

I have 2 CSV file databases which contain information about my customers, one with emails and company names.... one with addresses and contact names for the same companies. If I want to merge these in numbers I will have to spend a lot of time deleting certain repeat rows as these are big data bases...

I want to import these into filemaker and have the information merge repeat items and combine the individual company information to create one complete database......... is this possible or do I need to merge them before import?

Also I am not finding things as easy as they are made out to be, for instance.. why is it that even though I'm using the BPS services edition kit, when I make a new database it doesn't go into the BPS? the overall look and setup is regular filemaker?!!?

Maybe I need to start from the beginning again?!? Any information you guys could offer would be greatly apreciated

• 1. Re: Importing contacts into BPS
          philmodjunk

Yes you can design scripts that help you merge entries and/or delete duplicate data. How you do that will depend on the data you are importing. Sometimes it helps to import into a temporary table and then run scripts that parse your data into various tables from that one temp table. Other times you can even import the line of data into a single text field (it can even be a global field as I learned from LaRetta a while back) and auto-enter fields can parse the data during the import. Other folks find using different software to preprocess the data useful. These are just possible ways to do this you might want to look into. It depends on your data and what you need to do with it.

"why is it that even though I'm using the BPS services edition kit, when I make a new database it doesn't go into the BPS? the overall look and setup is regular filemaker."

Well because filemaker wasn't designed to work that way. New database is Filemaker's command for "create a new, blank database from scratch". If you want to start from a template, you have to select a template from the quick start screen. I don't know if the Business Productivity Solutions kit has some means of appearing in your list of templates  but if they don't, then you have to open a copy of the template file and start using/modifying it to do what you want. You can use your operating system to duplicate a filemaker file or choose "save a copy as..." from within filemaker.