6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 7:31 PM by MichaelSmall

Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...

RMichaelSmall

Title

Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same structure/tables etc.

I am a FM beginner, although I have used other DB products in the past.

I am assisting a non-profit in making changes (add a drop down menus) to the GUI that allows them to maintain a membership database. I was given a copy of the data base upon which to experiment. The changes were made, successfully, to the GUI and the results saved as an empty clone.

Note: the changes were made using an evaluation copy of FM running on a Windows 7 platform. The database itself, and non-eval copy of FM, are on a Macbook.

Theoretically at least the empty clone db and tables are the same as those of the existing database. The obvious difference is that there is data in one, none in the other.

Attempts to import the data from the existing database are failing. The import seems to work but when completed, all the records are empty. Yes, I am indicating which fields to import.  I have looked at the manual (PDF) that accompanied the download but am not seeing anything that is helpful.

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. the fact the DB uses multiple tables creates a more complex series of steps than depicted in the manual.

2. the fact the changes to the GUI were made using an evaluation copy of FM running under windows is causing the problem.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I can recreate the mods but I'd rather not have to do so; importing the data should be relatively simple because I want all the records and all the data.

• 1. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
          philmodjunk

2 should not be an issue. Both windows, macs and their evaluation copies use exactly the same file structure.

1) could be an issue. You'll need to perform one import for each table and also update any serial number fields to enter the correct next serial value.

To import the records manually, you must first select a layout based on the target table, then import records from the corresponding table in the source file from which you are importing. When you import, if the source file is already open, all records in that table occurrence's current found set is imported. If the file is not open, all the records in the table are imported--so you may need to do a show all records in the source file before importing. Once you have imported data into one table, you'll need to switch layouts in order to import into the next table.

Also, make sure that you do not enable the check box that enables auto-enter options. In most cases, enabling this option will break relationships between related records by assigning brand new serial values to any serial number fields used as primary keys in relationships.

• 2. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
            RMichaelSmall

PhilModJunk,

Thank you for the response. Between posting the inquiry and your response I did figure out how to import the data and it was exactly as you stated. Nice to know I did it correctly.

That said some information still seems to be missing. Will do my best to describe the scenario.

The original designed created tables to track names, addresses, history of membership years and donations beyond membership fees, as well as multiple methods of contact (i.e. email, website, land line, cell phone), etc. When I open the original database a list of all the "tables in use" is displayed. When I open the new data base only the master DB is named. Could this be due to the relationsip(s) being broken? I will have to re-do the import and make certain that I did not enable "auto enter" options.

I might have more inquiry after I prove/disprove this hypothesis.

• 3. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
              philmodjunk

What sort of layout is used to list "all tables in use"?

Do you see the same layout open?

How does the database determine what tables to list on this layout and how does it list them? (It's not a built in FileMaker feature.)

• 4. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
                RMichaelSmall

What sort of layout is used to list "all tables in use"?

It's the first GUI upon opening the appropriate icon on the desktop. Primary options (buttons) are Data Entry, and Mailing Labels.  Examining  "layout" it shows as <<tablenames>>

Do you see the same layout open?

I don't understand the question but perhaps my response above answered the question. There are several tables: members, memberships, comms, functions, donations, addresses, menu, rates. I had to import data from the corresponding table(s) in the original database.

How does the database determine what tables to list on this layout and how does it list them? (It's not a built in FileMaker feature.)

I accessed "manage database" and the various tables are listed. I cross referrenced that list against "manage database" in the original app and it shows the same information.

*** I cannot find anything wrong with the functionality of the new app but it puzzles me why the list is blank.

• 5. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
                  philmodjunk

Everything you see on the screen comes to you via a layout. Each layout has a name--which will appear in the layout drop down in the status area on the top left of your screen. I'm asking if you are looking at the same layout in both the original and new copies of your file.

<<tablenames>>

Is a field in your database. The <<>> denotes merge that this has been inserted as a merge field and that makes the displayed text behave like layout text on your layout. (You can't edit it, you can't select and copy it.)

In Manage | Database | Fields, there will be a field of that name in one of the tables. Check and see if you have any records in this layout's table. You might try new record as a test to see what happens. The field will be blank if there are no records in the layout's table. There could be other reasons why the field is empty at this time.

Opening with a list of tablenames seems a very odd first layout to show the user, but then I don't know how this field is defined nor the purpose of that layout either.

• 6. Re: Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...
                    MichaelSmall

Sorry for the delayed response to all of your replies.

The challenge of importing the data has been met. I have done so more than once and not lost anything. The "tables in use" continues to be empty and I have no idea why; everything else seems to be functioning as expected. Now I have a bigger challenge which I will post.