AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same...

Question asked by RMichaelSmall on Mar 17, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 by MichaelSmall

Title

Importing data (all of it) from one db (and its tables) into an empty data base with exact same structure/tables etc.

I am a FM beginner, although I have used other DB products in the past.

I am assisting a non-profit in making changes (add a drop down menus) to the GUI that allows them to maintain a membership database. I was given a copy of the data base upon which to experiment. The changes were made, successfully, to the GUI and the results saved as an empty clone.

Note: the changes were made using an evaluation copy of FM running on a Windows 7 platform. The database itself, and non-eval copy of FM, are on a Macbook.

Theoretically at least the empty clone db and tables are the same as those of the existing database. The obvious difference is that there is data in one, none in the other.

Attempts to import the data from the existing database are failing. The import seems to work but when completed, all the records are empty. Yes, I am indicating which fields to import.  I have looked at the manual (PDF) that accompanied the download but am not seeing anything that is helpful.

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. the fact the DB uses multiple tables creates a more complex series of steps than depicted in the manual.

2. the fact the changes to the GUI were made using an evaluation copy of FM running under windows is causing the problem.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I can recreate the mods but I'd rather not have to do so; importing the data should be relatively simple because I want all the records and all the data.

Outcomes