6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2011 11:38 AM by GaryBarr

Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced

GaryBarr

Title

Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced

I use Filemaker Pro 11 on a PC

I have a website that's database driven. Each record also has one to four images associated with each record.  I can get a CSV file exported of the database but is it also possible to export image file names witha location referenced and have filemaker pro not only add the data in the csv file but also add the images as well, as long as their location is referenced in the csv file.

It is a website with lots of pieces of jewerly inventory and I want to be able to export from the website database and import into the filemake pro database.  This is for an Ipad filemaker go dbase I created for the sales people that have no web support.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
          philmodjunk

Simplest might be to import the images into container fields via the Import Records/folder option if you can put all these images in a single file. This import action can also load the image's file names in a text field in the same table.

Then you can use the filename in the "location" text imported from the csv file to link the two sets of records via a relationship based on the file names.

Please make sure you know the limitations of using container fields in FileMaker GO. If I remember correctly, they can't view "by reference" images in a container field so you'll need to store actual copies of the image files.

• 2. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
            GaryBarr

Thanks for your help.

"Then you can use the filename in the "location" text imported from the csv file to link the two sets of records via a relationship based on the file names."

I can now import the images into the datbase. I'm missing the way to connect the filename of the image, to the product name which is the image name.  How can I linke these two together?  Sorry but just starting out here. Thanks.  Can you point me to this reference in the manual perhaps?

• 3. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
              philmodjunk

It depends on what you meant when you said that you could import the file's "location". If that location is a file name or file path, then you have the text you need to match the imported data to the imported images by filename if you relate the two tables by this data.

To give a more specific answer requires seeing an example of what you meant by that "location" data imported from the csv file.

• 4. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
                GaryBarr

I will be getting my info from my website and get a CSV file of all the data everytime.  I'll also have the images.jpgs as well.  That will contantly be kept up to date with respect to additions and modifications.

For file location, I was just going to put all the images in say "C:\Images" but it could be any path.  Then, import all the images into a clean database with no data because my data will be all inclusive.  I would do this everytime there's new data/images added. The images would not need to be replaced but there could be new images.  I'm not sure of a better way but this should work.  The filenames of the images will be the Product ID name in the text data.  The record data could however change in addition to new records that need to be added with their new image.jpg.  I just thought it would be easier to always do it aga

Ex.  BR0001.jpg is the image name.    BR0001 is the product name as well all the data associated with it.  I want to merge the product data with the image in the database.

Thank you again for all your replies.

• 5. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
                  philmodjunk

For purposes of linking the records in the two tables immediately after import, you can use this relationship:

CSVDataTable::FileName = ImageTable::FileName

ImageTable::FileName would be loaded with the name of the image file during import.

CSVDatatable::FileName would be a calculation field: Product Name & ".jpg"

Alternatively, you can use a calculation field on the ImageTable side that removes the file extension--a better approach if you have some images files that aren't Jpegs, but gif, eps, tiff, etc.

Once  you have imported the data, you'll want to use a different relationship based on a serial number field defined in one or the other of these two tables. If there is always one image to one product, it doesn't matter which table holds the serial number field. If you have potentially more than one image for the same product, the product table should have the serial number field. If the same image might be linked to more than one product record, the serial number should be defined in the image table.

That will give you either:

Products::ProductID = ImagesByID::ProductID

or

Products::ImageID = ImagesByID::ImageID

ImagesByID is an additional table occurrence of your images table.

Using Products ID, you can use Replace field contents and the filename based relationship to copy the matching record's serial number into the images records. Using ImageID, you'd do the same to copy the ImageID from Images into Products.

• 6. Re: Importing data from a CSV file where images are also referenced
                    GaryBarr

Thank you very much. Makes sense.  I'll give it a try.