AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)

Question asked by Jenine on Jan 26, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 by Jenine

Title

Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)

Hi there,

I currently have 2 FMP10 databases that have the same tables (n=12), same relationships and same fields. One database contains data from 1998-2007 and the other from 2008 to current. I am trying to import data from the 2008 database into the older database. I have successfully done this for all my layouts however I am having difficulty with portals in certain layouts. Here is an example of the relationships between our tables and the keys used to link/match them:

TO:Episode>TO:Antibiotics>TO:Appropriateness (caseid>episodeid>episodeid).  (The relationship between Antibiotics and Appropriatenss is many-to-many)

In our Antibiotics layout we have fields from the Antiotics table (which import fine), but we also have a portal to TO:Appropriateness that contains related records from that TO. When I do the import, I am getting one related record that repeats itself. And it seems that the TO:Appropriateness was a copy of the TO:Antibiotics of which had a unique auto-serial number applied but not used to link it to the TO:Appropriateness (when I look at my tables and relationships graph).

Because the TO:Appropriateness was a copy of the TO:Antibiotics it was added to the relationships graph but it is not listed as a separate table in my Manage Database>Tables tab. Therefore,the Import Field Mapping dialogue box does not list these copied tables as a Target table.

Can you provide some insight on how to properly import portal/related records?

Thanks,

Jenine (newbie to Filemaker)

Outcomes