2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 2:17 PM by Jenine

Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)

Jenine

Title

Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)

Hi there,

I currently have 2 FMP10 databases that have the same tables (n=12), same relationships and same fields. One database contains data from 1998-2007 and the other from 2008 to current. I am trying to import data from the 2008 database into the older database. I have successfully done this for all my layouts however I am having difficulty with portals in certain layouts. Here is an example of the relationships between our tables and the keys used to link/match them:

TO:Episode>TO:Antibiotics>TO:Appropriateness (caseid>episodeid>episodeid).  (The relationship between Antibiotics and Appropriatenss is many-to-many)

In our Antibiotics layout we have fields from the Antiotics table (which import fine), but we also have a portal to TO:Appropriateness that contains related records from that TO. When I do the import, I am getting one related record that repeats itself. And it seems that the TO:Appropriateness was a copy of the TO:Antibiotics of which had a unique auto-serial number applied but not used to link it to the TO:Appropriateness (when I look at my tables and relationships graph).

Because the TO:Appropriateness was a copy of the TO:Antibiotics it was added to the relationships graph but it is not listed as a separate table in my Manage Database>Tables tab. Therefore,the Import Field Mapping dialogue box does not list these copied tables as a Target table.

Can you provide some insight on how to properly import portal/related records?

Thanks,

Jenine (newbie to Filemaker)

• 1. Re: Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)
          philmodjunk

There's a difference between a Datasource table and a table occurrence. I've included a link below if you want to read up on the differences.

For each portal, you'll need to identify the table--not the table occurrence box in the relationship graph which may or may not have the same name. Double click the portal while in layout mode and note the table occurrence name that appears in the drop down in the top of the portal setup dialog that pops up. Find this table occurrence in your relationships graph and double click it to find the name of the data source table.

Now go to a layout that refers to this data source table or a table occurrence that has the same data-source table. If you can't find one, make one. It can be blank as long as it identifies the correct table occurrence in layout setup...

Now select Import records from your other file and specify the data source table as the source of the records you will import.

Many folks find the terms Table and Table Occurrence confusing. To learn more, click the following link:

Table vs. Table Occurrence (Tutorial)

• 2. Re: Importing data from a new database to an identical old database (problems with portals)
            Jenine

Hi Mr. Caulkins,

Thanks for the clarification between TO and data source tables. I appreciate it. I am going to try what you suggested and hopefully it works. 

Thanks,

Jenine