1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 11:36 PM by schamblee

Importing data from another fm file (n00b question)

JamesP

Title

Importing data from another fm file (n00b question)

Hey guys,

I'm VERY new to filemaker having had a project dumped on me at work. I've a few questions which may seem really basic for some of you guys. Please be gentle, I'm new wink.

I've two filemaker files. (I'll call them 'A' and 'B'). 'A' is the my main db. 'B' is a series of files that I want to import into A (probably daily). I am assuming they have different field names - so A will have a field like Location and B would have something like geoLocation but they're essentially the same thing.

Is there a way to 'map' specific fields from 'B' on to 'A' and import the data??

Help!!!

MR

• 1. Re: Importing data from another fm file (n00b question)
          schamblee

Yes, when you click on import, a import mapping box will pop up and in this box you will select which field from table B that get import in a field in table A.  You can use "Save a Copy as" to make a backup copy of your database, which I recommend doing before any importing, but the first time I would make two or three backup copies and then test importing until I get the procedure down.  Filemaker makes it easy.