2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 1:28 AM by JoostvanderSteen

Importing data from csv file

JoostvanderSteen

Title

Importing data from csv file

Hi there,

I'm having some problems importing data from a old database to my filemaker file. I'm using filemaker 11 on Mac Osx. I converted the complete csv file so that everything seem to work perfectly. But now when I try to work with the record I imported it doesn't work. I can't add a Follow Up and I can't use the related contacts part.

Attached are two files.

1. the database with one record filled in by hand....working perfectly and one imported, related contacts is not working and follow up isn't eather.

2. the csv file.

hope someone can help me out!

thanks in advance

see there is no option to attach files so here is the link:
      http://www.ok-parking.nl/filemaker/fm.zip

• 1. Re: Importing data from csv file
          philmodjunk

Which database file did you import your data into? I'm guessing that you imported the data into a copy of the Contacts template that comes with filemaker. When you import data into this file, you should enable the Auto-Enter option so that each imported contact receives a ContactID serial number. Without this serial number, as you've discovered, parts of the system won't work.

You'll need to either reimport your data into a new copy of the contact manager while enabling this option or you'll need to use Replace Field Contents to give each imported record a serial number ID and also to update the next serial value settings. (Replace field contents has an option that updates this for you.)

• 2. Re: Importing data from csv file
            JoostvanderSteen

Yep, that did the trick! Thanks a lot.