2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 8:46 AM by RashinAlizadeh

Importing Data from Excel

RashinAlizadeh

Title

Importing Data from Excel

Hi There,

I have created a new database which asks for different information from the user (some to be picked from drop down menus, while others typed in by the user).

A lot of this information I already have in an excel file which I am trying to import instead of retyping some 500 records.

here is how I go about importing these:

1-delete all records in FM

2-clear all fields on the layout

3-import records by choosing the appropriate file, worksheet, and matching up the categories, etc.

However the problem is that when I clear all the fields, three pieces of info (two of the drop downs and one text[ a date entered previously]) remain in the fields. So that when I go to import the records, all of them are imported however the content of the two drop downs and the same date appear for every single record despite the fact that they are different in the excel file.

What should I do?

Thanks so much.

• 1. Re: Importing Data from Excel
          philmodjunk

Examine the field options for those two fields to see why this is happening. Best guess is that either these fields are defined in a different table or that an auto-enter setting is auto-entering data during the import process. If it's an auto-enter setting, you can either disable auto-enter operations during the import (there's a check box for controlling this option that pops up just before the import starts), or you can temporarily disable the auto-enter options on these fields just before importing (Which can allow you to leave other auto-enter operations that you want to take place free to do their thing.)

• 2. Re: Importing Data from Excel
            RashinAlizadeh

Those specific fields were set as "global" fields and turning global off fixed the problem. Thanks!