1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 12:11 PM by TSGal

Importing Data from excel via Script

Oodua

Title

Importing Data from excel via Script

I recently wrote an Import Script to import data from excel to update Filemaker records and add the remaining data as new records. For a while the Script functioned quite well. Then there was a message from the user that the Script did not work any more.

Later I realized that the user has renamed the Excel "Range" I used to automate the Script from "Data" to "DATA" to accomodate the increase or decrease in the number of "Rows". And since the registered Range name with Filemaker Import Script was "Data", the Script failed.

Why does the Range name need to be case sensitive for Filemaker? Can Filemaker not treat "Data", "data" or "DATA" as the same name? Excel does not care.

I will recommend that Filemaker release a patch to correct this oversight immediately.

• 1. Re: Importing Data from excel via Script
          TSGal

Odutoye:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the error.  I have saved files with lowercase, uppercase, mixture of cases, and FileMaker Pro will import the file without incident.  FileMaker does not care if the file is named with uppercase or lowercase characters.

When the script fails, does it provide an error message?  Does it say the file does not exist?  Where is the client saving the file, and is it in the same directory listed in the script?  That is what may be causing the problem.  Any additional information you can supply could help narrow the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.