2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2010 6:31 PM by comment_1

Importing data from multiple Excel files.

George99

Title

Importing data from multiple Excel files.

A few months ago, some of you were kind enough to help me create some simple memory games, where the results are exported as an Excel file for each user for each game. The only external differences being the filenames comprise the users name, date and time.

The problem now being, I have over a hundred Excel files to evaluate with many more in the pipeline.

Is there any mechanism to enable Filemaker to automatically scroll through unknown names and quantity of Excel files (the only constant being they are nearly all the same format, stored in the same directory),  saved after a given date, and import all the Excel information into Filemaker for analysis?

George Humphries FileMaker novice

Running Windows XP sp3 and Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced.

• 1. Re: Importing data from multiple Excel files.
          George99

Solved! :smileysurprised:I think, I found a reference to a similar query in the forum, that mentioned a plugin called MooPlug.

I downloaded and installed it and it provides the starting point by listing all the files in a given directory.

All (it will probably be my project for the summer break from the centre) I have to do now is to create some method of using the list to run an import that loops through all the files importing the data.

Unless anyone already has such a script?

George Humphries File Maker Novice using FMpro 10 advanced

Windows XP SP3

• 2. Re: Importing data from multiple Excel files.
            comment_1

If you have a list of the files, then importing them in a loop is fairly trivial. Roughly:

Set Variable [ $files ; <your list of files> ]

Loop

Set Variable [ $i ; $i + 1 ]

Exit Loop If [ $i > ValueCount ( $files ) ]

Set Variable [ $path ; GetValue ( $files ; $i ) ]

Import Records [ $path ; ...  ]

End Loop

You might need to do some adjustments to the $path calcuation in order to shape it into a valid Filemaker path.