3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 2:30 PM by philmodjunk

Importing Data to Starter Solution

MarkFulmer

Title

Importing Data to Starter Solution

Hi .  I'm trying to import data from an excel file into a Starter Solution - Contact Management layout.   I've been able to learn how to import the data into a simple layout, but really want to use the Contact Management look.  Any suggestions?

Thanks  in advance!

• 1. Re: Importing Data to Starter Solution
          philmodjunk

Before you import, read this thread so you know how to avoid a common issue encountered when importing contacts into the contacts table of one of the starter solutions: 

Help importing Excel data into a Filemaker Starter solution

Then open your contact management file, and use Import Records to import your data while on the record detail layout or any other layout in the file that lists Contact Management in Show Records From in Layout Setup...

• 2. Re: Importing Data to Starter Solution
            MarkFulmer

Thanks for your help.  I figured out how to import the data but not all of it is showing up - and what is showing up is in the wrong field.  I'm guessing that I have to learn how to get the right fields from excel to align with the right fields in Filepro? 

• 3. Re: Importing Data to Starter Solution
              philmodjunk

When you use Import Records to import your data, there's a dialog that pops up where you can control which field in Filemaker will recieve a particular column of data from the spread sheet. You'll find you can click on the arrows to drag the fields up and down to align them to different columns in the database and you can click on some arrows in bottom of this dialog to look at actual rows of data while doing this to help make sure you are making the right choices.

Since Import Records is an operation you can't just undo when it goes wrong for you, I'd suggest you make a back up copy just before you try each such import so that you can revert to the back up copy if you make a mistake when importing the data.