5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 1:30 PM by philmodjunk

importing end of day stock quotes

willardhunter

Title

importing end of day stock quotes

I have built a database to track my stock/option investments. I would like the current value (or end of day) stock quotes to automatically populate a current value field without my manually inserting it. It this possible? How would I do it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: importing end of day stock quotes
          WesleySantiago

"Automatically" from where?

If your data service can provide a listing of just the investments you are interested in, with the same matching symbol/name, in a standard intra-database format like CVS, then an import+merge attempt will work.

If you are looking to use an online free web service without bells and whistles then you'll need to hire a custom programmer to scrape the webpages for you, build something like a CVS file, then import that on a daily/weekly/monthly(?) basis.

• 2. Re: importing end of day stock quotes
            willardhunter
            Wesley, thanks for your response. I will look at creating a CVS file from the stock quote website. I need to determine if the time spent "automating" the process exceeds manually inputting the data. Appreciate your help.
            • 3. Re: importing end of day stock quotes
              philmodjunk

It's possible to use a web viewer and GetLayoutObjectAttribute to "scrape" data directly from a site to FileMaker, but the process isn't trivial. You'd need to set up a script that uses Text functions to find and pull the desired data from the web viewer's content. If the site designers then modify their site design, your system breaks and you'd have to redesign your code to handle the new site design.

• 4. Re: importing end of day stock quotes
                willardhunter
                Phil, thanks. I found a place on the website where I can download into Excel the date, stock symbol, and closing price. Easy to then import into FM Pro. Will compare time between manual entry and this approach. I think this approach will be easier. Thanks again. I'll look at your suggestion.
                • 5. Re: importing end of day stock quotes
                  philmodjunk

By all means use the method you've found. It will be much easier. I posted here to suggest a better way than hiring a third part to scrape the data for you and then importing. If you can download direct in a file format such as Excel from which you can import, that will be much easier.