2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 9:36 AM by philmodjunk

Importing Excel into Web Direct solution

MikeWile

Title

Importing Excel into Web Direct solution

I have a solution that contains 157 fields. There is an Excel file that contains 8 of these fields that I'd like to import. The first row has matching fields to the solution. In FileMaker, I can check the Arrange by: matching names and it imports fine. The problem is that this is not an option in Web Direct. When you import the file, you have to manually match up the fields. The real pain is that the target fields are not in alphabetical order. They seem to be ordered by when the field was created. If the fields zebra, boy, milk, apple were created in that order, that's the order they appear. So I have to scroll through 157 fields to try and find a match, sometimes going through several times because I missed one on the first pass.

Has anyone come up with a better solution for importing? I wouldn't mind if this were a one-time thing but these logs are imported all the time with different values.

• 1. Re: Importing Excel into Web Direct solution
          philmodjunk

I researched that and was surprised to find that the main parts of Import Records are not supported in WebDirect. Only thing that I can think of is to set up a system where this is emailed or uploaded to a site where a server side script or a script run from a FileMaker Client based "robot file" can find and import the data.

• 2. Re: Importing Excel into Web Direct solution
            philmodjunk

Hmmm, just had a brainstorm as I clicked the Post Answer button:

Maybe you can use Insert File to insert the excel file into a container field and then a script performed from a FileMaker Client "robot file" can export the file to a temporary folder and then import the exported file from there--thus allowing you to specify the column to field mapping in the script.