AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing excel sheet with multiple fields per contact

Question asked by Epa on Sep 19, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Importing excel sheet with multiple fields per contact

I am trying to import an excel sheet into my contacts databse.  I'm using my contacts full name as the match field and I am trying to import 1 cell of data to match a feild in my databse.  The problem is: The excel sheet will list my contact (match field), let's say, 10 times with different data (the 1 cell I am importing).  Upon completion of the import, I am only getting 1 cell imported per contact, and the rest of the entries on the excel sheet are ignored.  I think I need to set up a portal so that multiple fields can be created based on the same criteria.  If I do this, I am unable to import into the portal (not an option on the import screen).  Am I going about this all wrong? Thanks

For example: John Doe appears on the excel sheet 10 times in column A.  Column B lists a phone number.  Therefore John Doe has 10 different phone numbers, because he is on the excel sheet 10 times and column B is different each time.  I want my database to recognize John Doe ONCE and import the 10 phone numbers to his record in the databse.

Outcomes