3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 11:33 AM by TSGal

Importing fields with paragraphs

troyecol

Title

Importing fields with paragraphs

This is a question I should have asked much earlier when I was converting a couple of databases I had made in 4th Dimension to Filemaker Pro. Not finding any convenient tools to make the conversion (the person I asked at Filemaker had never heard of 4th Dimension) I experimented a bit and the simplest transfer seemed to be via text files; i.e., with tabs separating fields and carriage returns separating records. However, I had some text fields that had embedded paragraphs (returns) which complicated the conversion. I found a painful workaround but have often wondered if there was a more elegant way to do this.

So, for future reference, is there a simple way to handle imports where there may be embedded carriage returns?

• 1. Re: Importing fields with paragraphs
          TSGal

troyecol:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will import comma-separated text files that contain carriage returns in the middle of fields, as long as there are open parenthesis before the carriage returns.  For example:

"First Field","Second Field with

carriage return","third field","fourth field"

This will imported into one record, where the second field will display on two lines.

Try this out using the above example saved in a text file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Importing fields with paragraphs
            troyecol

Hey TSGal,

That works. I trust you meant quotes rather than parentheses. Initially I had a bit of trouble as your record would import fine but if I typed the same info my record would not! Must be something to do with Word, perhaps it inserts smart quotes even in text files and this confuses Filemaker. However, using a dedicated text editor solved that. As a plus one can have commas as well as returns within the quotes. A bit outside my usual workflow to use comma delimiters and to enclose all fields in quotes but I think I can adapt when necessary.

Thanks for the tip.

• 3. Re: Importing fields with paragraphs
              TSGal

troyecol:

Oops!  Yes, I meant open quotes.  I'm glad you were able to understand what I meant, plus get it working! 

I'm not familiar with Microsoft Word, but it seems that there should be a way to change "smart quotes" to other type of quotes, especially if saving as Text.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.