4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2012 1:22 AM by GuyStevens

importing found set from one filemaker database to another

LucyKenyon

Title

importing found set from one filemaker database to another

I lost some records, so am trying to retrieve them from the back-up, but can't figure how to import only the records I need. I can only import the entire back-up database. 

I perform a find in the source (backup) database, so only the records  i need appear in the window. I open the target database, hit import, match the field names, hit import again, and oops, my source database doubles in size. How do I control which records to import?

Help says: 

"3. If you're importing records from a FileMaker Pro file and you want to import certain records and omit others, open the
      file and perform a find so that the found set in the current window contains only the records you want to import.
      For more information, see Finding records. FileMaker Pro determines the found set to import from the foreground
      window in the source file. If you import records from a closed file or an open file that is not displaying any windows,
      FileMaker imports all the records, regardless of any found set."

what am I missing here? 

• 1. Re: importing found set from one filemaker database to another
          Sorbsbuster

And you left the source file open?

"my source database doubles in size" - do you mean 'target database'?

If you are matching table-for table, file-for-file, it should work exactly as FM describes.

You can check if it is going to work when you see the import dialogue - it will show you how many records it will be importing before you give the go-ahead.

• 2. Re: importing found set from one filemaker database to another
            LucyKenyon

Thanks, Sorbsbuster. Yes, I did mean target, sorry. 

Here is a screen shots - you can see the source, on the left, shows s a found set of only 19 records (all Ennead), but the IMport dialog

box threatnes to import all 2012. 

• 3. Re: importing found set from one filemaker database to another
              Sorbsbuster

There is something awry with your source table.  It has indeed only 19 records in the found set, from a total of 2008 as you show it in the background.  The number 2012 in your import dialogue isn't either of those.  Either the file that you have chosen to import from (in the file ->import menu, or script step) is not the correct file (ie: not the same file as the one you have opened on the left side) or the table within that file ('all tba contacts') is not the table in it that you are showing with the 19 found records.

Especially with back-up files it is very easy to pick up the wrong file, and after that it can be easy to pick up the wrong table.

• 4. Re: importing found set from one filemaker database to another
                GuyStevens

I just tried this myself and it does seem to work with me.

Here's what I did.

I open a file (Contacts.fp7) and go into a table (contacts), perform a find.

Let's say the contact table, and I find one contact.

Then I go to the file I want to import into (another .fp7 file.)

I open a table and choose import.

This import screen suggests it will import 1 record. The contact I found.

Are you sure you are trying to import from the correct file?