AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing fp7 files

Question asked by Miles on Apr 28, 2010
Latest reply on May 2, 2010 by Miles

Title

Importing fp7 files

Hi everyone,

I have just taken over a File Maker Pro (v 10) database and am sorting through a few problems. The one I need to solve is detailed below, but I'll just provide a bit of background first.  

We have two databases - one is known as a provider database, which is list of organisations and their particular services and contact information. The other is a caller questionnaire database which we update daily as calls come in from potential customers. We are required to report to federal authorities on the number of calls, the type of calls, the state they originate from and a number of other data. The calls are copied to a backup file at the end of every month and a NEW customer file (database) is started for the next month.

Recently our operations were physically moved from one location to another. While I was on leave the  File Maker Pro database was re-installed by our IT section.  I realised when I returned that copies of the database had been copied against each operators profile - we have three custmer service operators. Essentially each call operator was updating their own provider and caller database (caller questionnaire) and not the Host (main) database. I managed to sort out the provider database (fortunately it's mostly used as a lookup) so that everyone's PC  was pointing to the host PC.

However I now have three separate caller questionnaire databases that I need to import into the main caller questionnaire database. Is this just a simple case of using the import facility - and if so can I specify that files be added to the customer questionnaire and that any copies of caller questionnaires be overwritten and updated if there's new data?

The other problem I have is that the main caller questionnaire database now includes several month's data. How can I export a specific month's data to the backup file so that what's remaining is the current month's data ( in this case April). I presume it's by exporting a date range but I can't see how to do it (yet). Hope someone out there can help with these two issues.

Many thanks in advance.

John Ivanac
TAFE NSW
Australia

Outcomes