1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 12:00 PM by philmodjunk

Importing from Filemaker 5

donjuancarlos_1

Title

Importing from Filemaker 5

I am moving our company databases from Filemaker 5.5 to 10. 

To start, I copied our Filemaker 5.5 databases, then converted them to .fp7 files.  Then I spent a few weeks updating the layouts of the fp7 versions to match the functionality that we have with our Intranet site (It is written in CDML, and with the increased functionality of FP10, we no longer need it).

So now I have these databases with 3-week old data in them (plus some garbage data I added while testing).  I am not given the option to import from Filemaker 5.  Can someone suggest the most painless way to bring the data over?

• 1. Re: Importing from Filemaker 5
          philmodjunk

Simply convert the files with your data and import into your converted/update files.

OR

Open your 5.5 file with FMP 5.5 and export the data in common file format: excel, .mer, .tab, .csv  Then import that data into your fmp 10 copies.

I'd recommend the first options as you should be able to use the matching fields option to align your fields quickly and without error. (As long as you haven't renamed any fields in your converted files, of course). That's how I did it with my 5.5 to 10 imports when we made the change.