AnsweredAssumed Answered

importing group list from Entourage

Question asked by JimNollman on Oct 19, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 20, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

importing group list from Entourage

I just upgraded to the Lion OS on a new imac.

I run a small nonprofit with an html newsletter posted on our website semi-monthly, and announced to my 1000 member base by an email. The group list had been kept in a Microsoft Entourage group list. It was barely adequate to the task, but worked well enough to keep it, as is. 

With Lion, Entourage is now defunct, and although Mac Mail works OK for email, the address book functions of Mail make it obvious that this is the time to upgrade my group list to something a little more capable to the task. I got Filemaker Pro, mostly to handle this email task, and to let me expand it as i need.  Today I spent the afternoon learning how to build a simple database to serve as the holder of this subscriber list. It's got 4 fields: email, lastname, firstname, and comment. 

My problem is that the entire 1000 name list is in a text file exported from Entourage, with one person per line. But it's not comma-delineated. Nor are the lines internally consistent, since some lines show first, last, and email, while many more of them only show email addresses. I'm wondering if anbybody in this community has a bright idea about how to convert the lines  into records within a Filemaker database, without forcing me to import ther data field by field per record, through copy and paste.

I am certainly willing to go back to the original Entourage group file, even there's some mechanism i missed that will let me export it in a form more copasetic to FM.  I looked again today, but i can find no export technique that will give me the 1000 names in any form besides what i now have. 

I suppose another alternative is to hire a high school kid for a few days, to do something that will make my old eyes turn blurry. 

Outcomes