3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 9:14 AM by philmodjunk

Importing into FMP Advanced 9.0.3 skipping all records

Hawkeye

Title

Importing into FMP Advanced 9.0.3 skipping all records

Hello all,

I have data that I am trying to import into a master database from a Runtime version of a Windows database into a Mac Version (all produced on the same computer). The files all match but there is incomplete data in each record (ie not all the fileds are completed). I am now trying to match up the data from many of these databases into one master database for analysis.

I have converted it into

Excel

Merge

CSV

SYLK

fp7

and when I try to import (with matched fields) it skips all record imports.

I am at my wits end regarding this.

Ideally I would like to get the files from a more direct route via the Runtime version of the Windows database directly into the Master FMP file but that does not seem possible.

Any suggestions?

Cheers Hawkeye

• 1. Re: Importing into FMP Advanced 9.0.3 skipping all records
          philmodjunk

Have you tried using

File | Import Records | File ?

I read your post as you having trouble exporting and then importing the records. You should be able to open the master file and use the above tool to import the records in one operation.

• 2. Re: Importing into FMP Advanced 9.0.3 skipping all records
            Hawkeye

Hello PhilModJunk,

Yes I have done that. It gets thorugh to the match the fields screen and I match the fields and then try and import and it skips all the records and doesn't give a reason why. I have tried this in multiple formats and the files seem ok on Excel I just can't seem to get them to import into the Master FMP database.

Exporting seems to be ok its just the Importing thats at issue.

Any other ideas?

Cheers Spocky

• 3. Re: Importing into FMP Advanced 9.0.3 skipping all records
              philmodjunk

Import Records is a tool that has a lot of different options.

A couple of possibilities:

When you tried to use Import Records, did you have the source file open with the desired records in the found set? If the file is open it imports the found set, and if by any chance you have a found set of zero records, you'll get zero records imported. If the file is not open when you start to import, you should get the entire table.

When you use Import Records, are you selecting "Add New Records" as the import action or one of the "Update" options?

If none of this applies, I'd try recovering your target file and see if that changes anything.