6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 8:13 PM by RickWhitelaw

Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs

SophieSultan

Title

Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs

Hi,

I'm having serious issues with importing PDF files into my database (using FMP 13 on my mid 2012 MacBook Air, OS X 10.9.4): I have a very large collection of scanned books (size of files: from a few mb to 300mb and more; many books are around 150mb).

When dropping a "heavy" PDF to a container, FMP crashes systematically. 

So: have you heard of a specified size limit for importing PDF files? Can you think of any solution to prevent FMP from constantly crashing? I have already removed 2 Adobe plugins from my library; I have tried not to embed the files, creating links to the related folders, with no success. The database was created from a starter solution; I have tested it on 2 Macs (with identical configurations).

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
          philmodjunk

Have you tried inserting with the "store a reference" option specified. This inserts the file path to your file rather than a copy to your file so the size of the file that you are inserting should make little difference during the point in time when you insert the file into a container field.

But there is also another report of crashes with FileMaker and PDF's on Mac, OS 10.9 that has nothing to do with the size of the file so I would check out the following issue report for similarities to what you have encountered:

Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
            SophieSultan

Hi PhilModjunk,

Thanks for your very quick answer!

Actually, I have tried to insert the PDF using the "store a reference" option you mentioned: it crashes all the same ... 

I just read the link you posted: when the PDFs are supported ("small" size ones), I'm able to navigate easily. My problem only occurs during the importation process, only with heavy files. 

On the other hand, I have to say it works absolutely flawlessly on another database containing more than 1 000 records, all of them being PDF files, but much smaller ones.

Also, using reduced size PDFs in Adobe's Acrobat Pro or in Preview doesn't give a readable quality, that's why I have to keep my large PDF files. It really looks like FMP limits the size of the PDFs you can insert. On another database, I used the "store reference option", but for audio & video files (much larger than my PDFs) and it works perfectly fine. There might be an issue with the PDF format itself (?).

Thanks again for your help, we'll keep on searching for a solution! 

• 3. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
              philmodjunk

Please report this in Report an Issue. That should result in a response from  TS person that works for FileMaker and that has more access to technical info on possible issues.

Also, using reduced size PDFs in Adobe's Acrobat Pro or in Preview doesn't give a readable quality,

I don't see why that would be the case. The container field can be sized to fill the screen or you can open the file referenced in the container using Adobe or (On macs) Preview. Usually, the large PDF size is due to there being many pages in the document or a very hi resolution graphic. Neither should have a major impact on PDF "readability"--reading the text on each page of the PDF.

• 4. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
                RickWhitelaw

Just to be clear . . . you are inserting, or dragging and dropping, pdf files into a container field as opposed to importing them, yes?

• 5. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
                  SophieSultan

Hi,

@ Rick Whitelaw: I tried both methods (I usually drag & drop the PDF to the container, but I also tried from the menu bar "Insert > PDF"). I hope I didn't misunderstand you: do you make any difference between "inserting" and "importing"?

To be precise, I tried:

- drag & drop / insert  --> same result with both methods: it works with a "small" PDF, crashes with a large one (>100mb)

- embed PDF / store a reference option --> same result with both methods: it works with a "small" PDF, crashes with a large one (>100mb)

- starter solution (content management) / "home made" database --> idem

@PhilModjunk: for sure, I'll report this issue. Concerning the reduced size PDFs: I wasn't considering the size of the container, but the quality of the PDF itself. Reducing the size of my PDF (with Acrobat or Preview) would certainly have eradicate the crashes, but I won't use this "solution"; when zooming, the quality - the "readability" - is really poor. Since I will need to zoom quite often on all of these documents (those are very old books, mostly archives from the 19th century), I purposely scanned my books at 360dpi. I can't sacrifice the sharpness of the image.

I can't figure out why, when using the "store reference" option, it works perfectly with very heavy videos (2GB and more), while it crashes with a much smaller PDF (let's say 300mb). Any clue?

Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: Importing large PDF files to a database crashes FMP13 on 2 Macs
                    RickWhitelaw

Importing is a different process than drag and drop or insert. I didn't think you were importing but felt I should ask. Sorry that I don't have a solution for you. Sounds like a real pain.