5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 9:02 AM by Sorbsbuster

importing matching fields

carolynhaywood

Title

importing matching fields

I am trying to match fields from one datebase to another.  I click on the button to match fields.  I select the two fields I want to match.  I hit import.  I am getting an error message that says there are no fields selected to import.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: importing matching fields
          davidanders

Operating System version?  Filemaker version?

What button to match fields? Script that is attached to button?
               A step by step description would help.

Two separate databases or two tables in one database?

• 2. Re: importing matching fields
            carolynhaywood

Newest os and FileMaker 11.  Two separate databases.

i go to file, import records, select the correct source table, match the fields I want.

At the bottom, on the left, are three choices.  I click on the radio button that says match fields, then click on import records.

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: importing matching fields
              Sorbsbuster

But have you chosen any other fields in the import, to import?.

• 4. Re: importing matching fields
                carolynhaywood

No.  I had a database which I cloned before giving the database to a company.  Something happened and the field "invoice status" entered the value "Closed" in the new database.  I wanted to match the fields "invoice Status" and Invoice ID to correct the error.  I did not want to import any records.

If that is not possible, how can I match these fields without doing it by hand.  There are hundreds that are incorrect.

• 5. Re: importing matching fields
                  Sorbsbuster

First post: "I select the two fields I want to match.  I hit import."
                       Last Post: "I did not want to import any records."

That combination has flummuxed me a bit.

-

"I had a database which I cloned before giving the database to a company." - so it will have no records in it.
                  "Something happened and the field "invoice status" entered the value "Closed" in the new database." - if it is a clone there are no records, so where did the records showing 'Closed' come from?  Did they start to use the file, and then as they added records, 'Closed' became entered?  If so, where are the 'matching' records going to come from?