2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 2:25 PM by philmodjunk

Importing multiple fields to one.

MichaelLavin

Title

Importing multiple fields to one.

Hey everyone- very new to database creation here. I am trying to import multiple fields from one table to one field on a new table.

One table has actor names and characters they play in several shows. I need to take that information and create new table with one record for each actor character combination. 

Thanks for the help

Michael 

• 1. Re: Importing multiple fields to one.
          schamblee

You could import these field into separate fields and then have a calculation to combined this field into one after import.

Example calculation

actor & " " & character    

actor is John Doe
               character is Mickey Mouse

results would  be  John Doe Mickey Mouse

• 2. Re: Importing multiple fields to one.
            philmodjunk

I need to take that information and create new table with one record for each actor character combination.

I don't see how that requires importing data from multiple fields in one table into one field in the other.

A classic way to manage this data is with a many to many relationship. The FileMaker Training Series book actually uses a data base of actors, their roles and the movies they act in for an example of exactly this situation.

Start with these relationships:

Actors-----<Roles>-----Shows

Actors::__pkActorID = Roles::_fkActorID
                 Shows::__pkShowID = Roles::_fkShowID

You can place a portal to Roles on the Actors layout to list and select a Shows record for each given Actors record. Fields from Shows can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Shows record and the _fkShowID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Shows records by their ID field. And a field in Roles can be used to name the character portrayed in that Role.