1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 10:31 PM by philmodjunk

Importing multiple text files from a folder requires a script?

WilliamDuncan

Title

Importing multiple text files from a folder requires a script?

I have a FM13 database that I use to manage a member database. Members apply using an MS Word Forms file. I save the info in the form, then import it into my database. No problems there.

But volume is increasing, and I want to be able to import multiple records simultaneously.

When I read about "Import Folder," I was hoping that I could put the individual text files into a folder, and that FM would import them from there. Now it appears that "Import Folder" essentially imports the name (path) of the folder, then I need a script to process each of the files in the folder.

I found a script here, but before I enter and test it, I was wondering if there was something I was missing about "Import Folder." Is there a way to set options in FM or in where or how my folder is set up that would allow me to import each of the text files into a new record without a script? (other, of course, than putting all the names into a single text file.

• 1. Re: Importing multiple text files from a folder requires a script?
          philmodjunk

Are they text files ore MS Word files? Import Records/Folder will import all text files in a folder. But the contents of each text file is imported into a single text field and the "form" you describe does not sound like something that would work for that.

But you do have other options:

1) If the folder is located inside your documents folder, You can use Get (DirectoryPathListing) to parse out the file path and file name to each file in the folder and use those paths in a loop to import your data.

2) There are a number of Plug ins, some free, that can list the contents of any folder on your computer. Such a function could be used also to get file paths and file names to use in a looping script to do your imports.