6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 1:25 PM by HughCrean

importing names from Excel

HughCrean

Title

importing names from Excel

Hello All,

I am fairly new to FM and have limited database background/abilities, but we have a database that we are using to keep contact information for youth.  We have tables started in Excel that we are trying to import.  In the Excel file, the person name is labeled "Club Members" while in FM it is "Teen Name."  When we try to import the Excel file into an existing FM table (it would be best for us to import a large number of Excel files into one FM table), all the data comes through except for the teen name (they are all blank).  If it helps, there are 4 dots in a square in front of the "Teen Name" field in the FM table (layout view).  Also, "Teen Name" is a text field that is used for other calculations in the layout.  However, we get the same results if we create a "New Teen Name" field.

As an aside, we import a "print area" from Excel because importing the table results in 100's of thousands of empty records being imported.  Is there an easy way to avoid this?

I hope this is enough information and thanks in advance for any insights.

Best,

Hugh

• 1. Re: importing names from Excel
          philmodjunk

If it helps, there are 4 dots in a square in front of the "Teen Name" field in the FM table (layout view).

Does that mean that when you enter layout mode on that layout. The name shown in the field looks like this?

::Team Name

The :: indicates that the field is from a different related table. Thus, when you import data into this table from your excel file, there is no field in the layout's table into which you can import the name. This, in fact, indicates that you have a second table into which you also need to import data, this name, but you must also be able to maintain the relationship linking the two tables.

There are a number of ways to handle that issue, But we'd need a detailed understanding of your tables and relationships before we can suggest an approach that works.

If you want, you can upload a screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationships to this discussing thread by using the "Upload an Image" controls below the Post A Answer box. If you do that, please identify the "box" in this image that has the same name as what you find for your layout when you open Layout Setup.... and check the name in the "show records from" drop down list.

• 2. Re: importing names from Excel
            HughCrean

This bit helps a lot (again, pretty novice here). 

Yes that is exactly how the name looks.  Attached is the relationships view (I understand that it is probably not a great database layout, but it is likely to be short-lived).

Best and thanks for the help.

Hugh

• 3. Re: importing names from Excel
              philmodjunk

You forgot a key detail in what I requested: 

If you do that, please identify the "box" in this image that has the same name as what you find for your layout when you open Layout Setup.... and check the name in the "show records from" drop down list.

I need to know the table into which you are attempting to import this data.

• 4. Re: importing names from Excel
                HughCrean

Hi agian and sorry about that.

I am trying to import into "Attendance."

Best,

Hugh

• 5. Re: importing names from Excel
                  philmodjunk

Teen Name exists in two tables from what I can see here.

You can find it in attendance and also in Demographics.

If your layout is based on Attendance, then perhaps the copy of Teen Name you see on your layout is from Demographics. If so, you can certainly import the teen name into the Teen Name field of Attendance, but if the record is not linked to a record in Demographics by First and Last name fields, it will appear blank on your layout.

You can see this imported teen name by using the field tool to add the Attendance::Teen Name field to your layout.

• 6. Re: importing names from Excel
                    HughCrean

A bit of success here -- thanks much for the help!

Best,

Hugh