3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2009 2:40 PM by mrvodka

importing numbers with leading zeros

perrytsai

Title

importing numbers with leading zeros

I'm trying to import two digit numbers like "01" from an Excel file (the zero is important for sorting), but Filemaker takes out the leading zeros, even if the field is a "text" type. How do I keep them in there?

• 1. Re: importing numbers with leading zeros
          mrvodka

If the formatting in Excel is text, then it will import into FileMaker as text. If it is a number, then of course it will strip off the leading zero.

Otherwise you will have to use a work around with an auto-enter such as Right ( "00000" & YourField ; 5 ), if you want 5 digits, or ( "00" & YourField ; 2 ) if its only 2 etc. Make sure that you select the auto-entry option on the import.

• 2. Re: importing numbers with leading zeros
            perrytsai

The source cell in Excel is formatted as a text cell, and the destination field in Filemaker is designated as a text field, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm trying to make the fields "Rack" and "Box" import as two digits. Would I have to create a new "2 digit Rack" field in addition to my existing "Rack" field? Otherwise, does a self-referential auto-calculation work?

• 3. Re: importing numbers with leading zeros
              mrvodka

Right ( "00" & Rack ; 2 )

Right ( "00" & Box ; 2 )

Yes it will work in the auto-enter as long as you choose it as part of the import options.