13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2011 8:21 AM by Sorbsbuster

importing photos

PeterKaplan

Title

importing photos

I have only one question: I use Filemaker 11. I am a photographer and I have created a database with many of my pictures in it. The problem is that I select the picture and import it correctly (I hope) and everything is fine, except say the next day I get a dialog box where my photo was placed saying it cannot find my photo.This happens frequently, but not all the time., so I'm wondering what I must be doing incorrectly. I store the pictures by reference and that works and then it doesen't, I've changed the file format and that works, but then it doesen't so you can see, I'm a little at a loss as to what to do. Can you help......please

• 1. Re: importing photos
          TSGal

Peter Kaplan:

Thank you for your post.

When you insert and store only a reference to the file, FileMaker Pro should keep track of where it is on your hard disk.  If you "frequently" get the message that the file cannot be found, then either the referenced file has moved (which appears this isn't the case), the FileMaker file is damaged, FileMaker Pro doesn't like something about the reference, or the file/folder information is damaged on the OS (unlikely).

First, run a Recover on the file (from the File menu).  Use the Recovered file, link the referenced file again and see if the problem persists.  If that fails, try creating a new user account, login to the new user account, open the file, and since you are in a new user account, the file references may have changed, so link a few files and see if the problem continues.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: importing photos
            philmodjunk

If the image file is located on an external drive, you will also get such a message if that shared directory is not currently mounted on your machine.

• 3. Re: importing photos
              PeterKaplan

Thank you for your replies. I need to explain further. I have photos listed as e.g. 1000.jpg and they are all in a file called photos. When I open Filemaker and insert a photo into a container  I reference that photo from the "photo" file. This works fine, except as mentioned earlier , when I reopen Filemaker some of those photo cannot be found and I have to re-insert them, which I would like not to do. The recover idea was tried with no apparent results. So the next thing for me to do is open a new user account as per the reply earlier. Am I opening a new database and trying to import a few shots into that database? Please clarify for me before I do that. Thanks again

• 4. Re: importing photos
                TSGal

Peter Kaplan:

Just to verify, "Photos" is a folder; not a file.

If the recovered file is also failing, then that mostly rules out a damaged file.  (I say "mostly" because recover will do its best to fix a problem, but it may not fix everything).

Yes, try a new database file and link some shots.  See if that works.  If not, then open a new user account and try linking photos to the existing file or a new file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: importing photos
                  philmodjunk

and they are all in a file called photos

Just to be sure, where is the photos folder located? On your workstation's drive or in a shared forlder on a server somewhere?

• 6. Re: importing photos
                    PeterKaplan

The photos are located in a folder called "photos" and it is from there that I reference all the imports into my photo Filemaker DB

• 7. Re: importing photos
                      philmodjunk

Yes, but where is that folder? Is it on your computer's hard drive or in a shared directory on another computer on your network?

• 8. Re: importing photos
                        PeterKaplan

No, it is on my computers hard drive. It is also saved onto a seperate hard drive

• 9. Re: importing photos
                          Sorbsbuster

"It is also saved onto a seperate hard drive" - are you by chance first picking up the photo from there when it is attached or available, and then the times that FM fails to see the photo it is not attached, or mounted?  In other words you are asking FM to find a file whose path is no longer available.

• 10. Re: importing photos
                            philmodjunk

Assuming that you always insert the file from the folder on your computer's hard drive and never from the separate hard drive, then the possible explanation I suggested does not apply.

One diagnostic tool you can try is to define a calculation field of type text and select the container field as its only term. If you place this field on your layout next to your container field, sized to be several lines of text tall. This field will show you the actual data entered into your container field as its file reference. The second line of text will show you the file path to that insert by reference file. If you have some records where an image is visible and others are showing you this error message, you can compare the file paths to see if they are the same or not. (If they were inserted from the exact same location, the paths should be identical except for the image's filename at the very end of the path.)

• 11. Re: importing photos
                              PeterKaplan

I'm not sure I understand your question. But in an attempt to answer it, the file I call photos is nested within a larger folder called Art Files. It resides on my desktop all the time. So I believe it is "active" or available to be referenced, if I understand it correctly. Most of the photos seem to import correctly, but I always have maybe 10-15 that do not seem to want to be discovered, so I have to try to import them again. Hope this helps

• 12. Re: importing photos
                                PeterKaplan

In an effort to resolve this problem, I'll give you what information I have to date. I created a new DB and it appears to work well. I uploaded about 15 pictures and they seemed linked to my folder which contains the original pictures. But what has me confused is that I tried earlier today to relink those pictures which could not be found and what I see is that in the folder with the originals, most of those originals have disappeared, so I am unable to link them. Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? My hunch is if we can find out where those originals have gone, we will solve the problem.But how to find them?

• 13. Re: importing photos
                                  Sorbsbuster

Since moving them there, have you copied them to another folder?  And by mistake 'moved', not copied'?

You will know the name of the photo FM is looking for because the container field will display "Cannot find the file: xxx".  Why not use the PC's search tool to find instances of that filename?