3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2009 8:34 AM by comment_1

importing photos into a new table

fhfred

Title

importing photos into a new table

I am using FileMaker Pro 10 in conjunction with Aperture (using Mac OSX - Leopard). I am a newbie and have just started exporting my photos from Aperture to FileMaker (using the plugin). I have several different projects and albums that I want to export to one database. I want to work with my albums as different tables, but when I export my album or project from Aperture to FileMaker Pro, the files automatically save to the Aperture_Photo table. I have created another table, but I can't find a way to transfer the photos from one table to the other. Is there a way to either save my other albums to separate tables or move the photos to a new table once I've brought them into the database?

Thus far, I have used both the Photo Catalog database from the starter kit and also an empty database. Ideally, I'd like to keep using the empty database so that I can manipulate it more.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: importing photos into a new table
          philmodjunk

It sounds like you should read up on Import Records. This is a tool that you can use to move records (including your pictures) from one table to another in the same file or different files. There's also a "new table" option that can be used to create a new table as part of the import process.

You can learn more about the various options for Import Records in the Filemaker Help system.

• 2. Re: importing photos into a new table
            fhfred

I read up on Import Records. Unfortunately, since I'm using the ApertureToFileMaker plugin, I'm technically exporting from Aperture to FileMaker. So I never see an Import Field Mapping dialog box (or any dialog box, for that matter). 

I'm assuming this means there is no way for me to re-route my photo files while they are being exported from Aperture into FileMaker. But is there some way to move the files from one table to another once I've brought the files into FileMaker? 

• 3. Re: importing photos into a new table
              comment_1
                 I am not familiar with the plugin (or with Apperture), so I don't know how that works. However, I'd advise you to keep all your photos in the same table, and use a field in this table to indicate the album. It would probably be best to have another table for the albums, with a one-to-many relationship to the Photos table.