4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 8:43 AM by GordonWebb

Importing picture using file reference

GordonWebb

Title

Importing picture using file reference

I'm trying to import images into a container field -- using "store only a reference to the file" feature. The resulting image I get is of really poor quality... low resolution, etc. I tried various image file formats and it makes no difference.

I'd like to do this rather than making a small "thumbnail" for each specifically for Filemaker... because I'm dealing with hundreds of images. The "help" screen says it should work -- with jpeg, gif, etc. (see attached sample)

I use Filemaker Pro 4.0 for PC.

Thanks,

Gordon

filemaker.jpg

• 1. Re: Importing picture using file reference
          philmodjunk

I suggest that you upgrade to a newer version of FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Importing picture using file reference
            GordonWebb

Sorry, but when software doesn't perform as designed -- I don't think that's a reason to pay more $$ and upgrade.  The instructions say clearly that this is a feature in 4.0... and the images I'm getting are unacceptable.  This must be used all the time in building catalogs, etc. Is there someone out there who knows the answer? I'm a professional photographer and am quite computer savvy.

Thanks,

Gordon

• 3. Re: Importing picture using file reference
              philmodjunk

You are using a version that is over 10 years old. One of the things that has improved since Filemaker 4 is the system's ability to work with images stored in containers.

Frankly, even if there is a way to get better results from FileMaker 4.0 (I can't recall any options that you haven't already tried.), you should consider upgrading if you can possibly scrape up the $$ to do so. The day will come when you will be unable to use your database due to the inability to find a computer for which the OS version enables the software to run. Already, you are using a file format that cannot be directly converted into the format used by the latest version. Versions that old must be converted by FileMaker 11 or older into the .fp7 format and then the latest release can convert it to .fmp12. This process will only get more complex as time passes and new operating systems and database versions are released.

• 4. Re: Importing picture using file reference
                GordonWebb

Perhaps you're right... and I found 7.0 online for a decent price.  I can justify expensive software for my photography (i.e. Photoshop)... but find it hard to spend hundreds on software I rarely use.

Still, I don't understand why a function that's advertised as being possible results in the image I showed in the screenshot -- my first e-mail. Perhaps there's some kind of "image converter" missing or something.

Gordon