2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 2:01 PM by craig5005

    Importing Pictures

    craig5005

      Title

      Importing Pictures

      Post

      I posted this problem awhile back, and although I got some good feedback, it didn't end up working properly.

      I have a table full of assets, and I want to add a picture to each asset.  Currently the pictures filenames are the 'barcode'.jpg.  When I try to import and match the file name of the picture and the barcode field, it does not work (the import box pops up and says 0 records imported).  I have tried every combination of import matching, find set, add new records etc etc. I am not sure why as I believe this should work.  Could the problem be in the "character set" menu on the import box?  The pictures were taken with a digital camera, uploaded on to a PC, then transfered to a Mac.

       

      At the suggestion of another poster, I uploaded the picture to another table, and removed the .jpg using the Left(filename:4) script, and it worked fine, however, then the pictures existed in another table and that didn't quite work for us (for reasons that will take too long to explain).

       

      If anyone knows why the pictures aren't importing properly, or knows of a way to solve this, that would be great!

       

      Craig

        • 1. Re: Importing Pictures
          mrvodka
             Perhaps the names are not exactly the same? You do have leading zeros?
          • 2. Re: Importing Pictures
            craig5005
              

            So the problem is the .jpg on the end.  When you tell FM that the filename is matched with a field, it includes the .jpg.

             

            The way I figured this out, and got around the problem was created a calculation field that added .jpg to the end of my barcodes (in my db).  Since you cannot import by matching using a calculation field, I switched the new field to 'text' from 'calculation', which retained the calculation results.  I then imported the pictures matching the filename to the barcode.jpg field instead.  This worked and I now have the pictures in the correct container field.

             

            Craig