7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 9:56 AM by philmodjunk

Importing problems

rsagall_1

Title

Importing problems

I am running FM12 on a Mac. I have a file with over 1 million records. Each has a unique transaction number.

I am trying to import a file of 70,000 records each with three fields: transaction number, amount and status. I am matching transaction numbers and then modify the other two fields for records in the large database.

Most of the time the import stops with the first record although on rare occasions the import works fine. I have tried importing a small subset of the 70,000 (say 300) and it works fine. 

I have tried importing from an Excel file (both the 70,000 and the 300) with the same results. I also created a table in FM and imported the 70,000 into it with no problems. I then tried importing from that table to the 1 million table and had the same results - OK with the 300 record but nothing with the 70,000.

Any ideas?

Rich

• 1. Re: Importing problems
          philmodjunk

I am matching transaction numbers and then modify the other two fields for records in the large database.

What found set of records was present in your target table at the time you imported records? Import matching matches against records in your target table's found set so you may need to do a show all records before you import with this option enabled.

And please note that different Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of the same table can have different found sets so you need to do the show all records on a layout that specifies the same table occurrence as that which you have selected for your target table.

• 2. Re: Importing problems
            rsagall_1

Thanks - that may be the solution. I just started the import again and it seems to be working. I won't know for sure until tomorrow AM as it takes 8 hours or so to run.

• 3. Re: Importing problems
              philmodjunk

One way to speed up importing large blocks of records is to reduce indexing to only the minimum needed in order for your database to work.

• 4. Re: Importing problems
                rsagall_1

The import worked fine - but there's another issue.

The file I am importing contains around 70,000 records. The target file over 1 million. All of the transaction numbers in the file I am importing should match up with a record in the target file. This happened for 67,000 of the imported records. 

I need to know which of the 70,000 didn't match. Is there any simple way to do this?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Importing problems
                  philmodjunk

If you imported all 70,000 records (only have to import the fields that you need to have "match") into a separate table or file, you can define a relationship that recreates the same matching records setup that you specified for the import. Then you can search that new table for all records that don't have a matching related record.

• 6. Re: Importing problems
                    rsagall_1

That's what I had in mind. I was just curious if there was a better way.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Importing problems
                      philmodjunk

If your original data is also in a FileMaker file, you don't have to do any additional importing. You can define a relationship that links to the table in the source file and set up a layout in either file that then can compare records.