2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 10:26 AM by TheProfiler

Importing Records

TheProfiler

Title

Importing Records

I have bundled my software into a SOLUTION FOLDER and ready for distribution..   

Problem is -  Once a customer has used the software, entering their clients data, when time for an upgrade, I made the attempt to export records back to my pre-bundled version so I can make changes without destroying their data.  It did not take (AT ALL).....    

Solution is -  I am not sure what to do, I have tried several different angles for importing and exporting and it will either not take or it will be information has landed in the wrong place.   

Is there any one  out here that can tell me how to take a bundled solution and export the data into a non-bundled version so I can edit.....then rebundle again and ship?

Thanks

Jason

• 1. Re: Importing Records
          philmodjunk

Instead of export, use Import to copy the data from one filemaker file to another. It sounds like these two files should have the same field names, so an import using the "matching names" option should work well in most cases.

If you must export the data into an intermediary file, try exporting the data as a merge (.mer) file. This text export includes the field names and you can use a "matching name" import to import data from this text file into a different copy of the same solution file. (That assumes you used single word field names for your fields, otherwise you'll have to manually align the fields by name during import.)

• 2. Re: Importing Records
            TheProfiler

Thanks for the tip.....  It works.....     

Much Appreciated PHIL